Friday 25 July 2014

Maia's Sports Report. The Uxbridge English Dictionary. Dad complicates things... Why?

Monday July 21st.

There are so few uncrossed off dates on our departure calendar even it may be getting excited. Just over a week to flight time. Yaay!

Work was pretty much as it usually is except most of my co-workers in Archives know I’ll be zooming to the antipodes next week and they have been asking me all sorts of stuff about Australia.I haven’t been able to tell them about the entire continent as I have only glimpsed selected places on my circular tour in 2010, but I do consider myself an expert on Western Australia. They are amazed that the weather will be very like our English summer even though it is their winter. The don’t quite get the daylight thing though. I mean it is dark at just after 6pm and light just before 7am and the dusk is sudden. There is no long twilight like we get at our higher latitudes; the sun sinks slowly into the Indian Ocean and a few minutes later, switch it’s night time. They also didn’t grasp the temperature range. In the summer it is not so extreme but in the winter at about 6 am it can be as low as 4 degrees rising up to 25 by mid arvo!

I had to bring in my two passports to show them, I mentioned it last week and they are surprised that the Aussie one is so like the British one in terms of layout and information. (What did they expect a letter of transit?) My Aussie one doesn’t expire until 2020 whereas my UK one runs out in 2015.

They were also aghast at the idea that masses of food stuffs have to be thrown away when you arrive in Australia. I recounted the tale of an Arab woman who, on my last visit – last year – had to dump almost the entire contents of her hand luggage as the Aus authorities wouldn’t allow it in. I watched it happen as I walked to the domestic arrivals section of Perth airport. She was really upset.

I have promised each of them a goody bag of things Australian when I come back. There are only four of us in ARR so it won’t be a great expense. Five if you include Mrs B.

Back home I think Laura finally gets why I like “I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue” on the radio. Tonight she actually laughed out loud several times during a game called “Alternative Definitions”. They had Condescends – a prisoner in a lift and Gladiator – an unrepentant cannibal. Both of these tickled her fancy.

We had a go at making some more up as we walked down to the restaurant. I had Balderdash – a race for those with no hair, and Fairy Tale – a beer made from ferrets (it took her ages to see that one!). She came up with a couple of laudable efforts: Goblet – a small mouth, and Icicle – a bike made by Apple.

We were still giggling over Countryside – Killing a Tory MP, when we arrived at Dom’s. He asked us why we were crying and I tried to explain what we’d been doing. He gave a sort of laugh at our initial four but I don’t think he really understood what we were doing. We decided not to tell him Countryside as that might be a translation too far!

I thought up about twenty more during the course of the evening whilst listening to my new CD, a boxed set of Mendelssohn’s complete symphonies and 7 overtures. I had to wipe my eyes several times as I kept getting the giggles as I thought of new ones.
Here are my top five;
Canopy – a tin of urines
Kaleidoscope – a device for watching road accidents.
Lieutenant – a person renting a toilet.
Tirade – a bicycle puncture repair kit.
Zebra – keeps ladies’ bosoms firm.

I have copied them down in my note book to take to Australia as I just know the kids will love the idea, especially Jill who is very keen on word puzzles and games.

Laura found them equally amusing as we walked up through Coumes Brook back home after work. She thinks we should keep on doing it and writing them down, so I showed her my note book with them already written with space for more.

Tuesday July 22nd

Important news before the rest of the day’s entry; Yorkshire beat Middlesex by over 200 runs in Scarborough on the last day of the match, today. I haven’t checked the table but I think that puts them back at the top. I will update this when I find out.

We tried the alternative definitions out on Sarah after our swim this morning and she worked out Laura's Goblet – a small mouth, on the spot! Good for her. She had never heard of “I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue” though. I did a quick poll at work and only Mrs Briggs knew what I was talking about too. Does this show I move in a more rarefied atmosphere than most other people? I certain have no idea what my colleagues are talking about when they refer to TV programmes they watch; I must sound like the village weirdo when I say, “Erm… I have never seen it!” to any television related question they ask me.

Work was just as before. It must be a quite season. I am still copying paper files to the computer. This does take much longer than you would expect and it can get tedious unless the files contain interesting cases. So far this week there have just been the same old same old.

Back home we had an earlyish meal and I pottered about in the garden when Laura went off to the restaurant. The lavender had a lot of new dead heads, or maybe ones I have missed, which needed sorting and I also scalped the lawn again. I pulled up a few weeds from the gravel which surrounds the lavender but they were only really small ones and needed next to no effort. I gave Callie’s palace a thorough clean out and swept the outside clear of cobwebs and the like. If it is fine tomorrow night I will stick another layer of creosote on the outside of it. A job I usually do over the summer months.

Cricket. Yorkshire did go top of the table with their win at Scarborough. Adil Rashid went through the Middlesex side like a dose of salts on the final day and the Tykes are now 5 points ahead with every team but two having played twelve games each but they are nowhere near a threat. Yorkshire have four games left; Sussex, Lancashire, Notts and Somerset. The Nottinghamshire game could be the decider as Notts are the team five points behind. Isn’t it a surprise to find me talking about sport that isn’t Australia Rules Footie?

I do miss scoring for a cricket team. It fitted my OCD very well indeed. Maybe I ought to scout around for a local side to volunteer for. I know Bradfield have a side as their ground is at the foot of the hill to High Bradfield. It nestles picturesquely in the valley floor and looks idyllic. I bet they have an incumbent old fart who has been their scorer for years and would treat a woman volunteer with less than contempt. Maybe I am being unfair. I may send out some feelers next season. I will be away until then end of the current one.

As I mentioned AFL, the Dockers are currently fourth in the ladder having played 17 games so far. They will no doubt be visited by the Rhodes/Smith family combination during the next few weeks along with a Thomas too. She has never even seen an AFL game on TV so going to one live could be a revelation for her. I suppose we will be going to more than one now that Jeff is officially a Junior Docker! Good for him. Maybe he could become the new Matthew Pavlich? He has become the first WA player to reach 300 games!

Wednesday July 23rd

Dad phoned from Arran this morning. Apparently it is lovely there and having a mini heat wave. I was a bit panicked when he called as I thought he may have forgotten he was driving Laura and I to Glasgow Airport next week. He hadn’t forgotten, but he isn’t driving me. He has got Errol to drive us up and he is coming across from the island (as a foot passenger) to the airport (by train) so he can see us off safely and collect Callie from Errol. What a bloody complication that is.

It will mean we will have the house to ourselves for a few days, so I have told him we are going to throw a wild party and invite everyone in the village. He just said, “OK then, that’s fine!” Bloody Australian mentality! This may mean we stay put in Sheffield until Monday rather than drive up and be by ourselves in Dad’s house. We will arrive at a decision on Friday afternoon.

The fact our flight isn’t an early morning one is apparently the reason they decided to stay on the island, that and the gorgeous weather. [We fly at 2.15 pm] Errol is going to drive us up and rendezvous with Dad at the airport. He’ll drive Dad and Callie back to Ardrossan and then they’ll catch the last ferry back in the evening as foot passengers again. He even invited Errol to cross over and stay a few days, leaving his car in the secure parking at Ardrossan but Errol declined.

All of this does seem an unnecessary complication that could have been avoided. Mum thinks he is being selfish. I was so gobsmacked by Dad’s new arrangements I just had to phone her to tell her. She wasn’t surprised in the least. If there is a choice between a simple way and a fiendishly complicated way, my Dad will always plump for the fiendish one every time. Well, at least according to my Mum – but she may be a bit biased.

Swam, worked, chilled, read, dog walked, had sex. Usual sort of day for the rest of it.

Thursday 24th July.

Lots of cloud first thing but I sort of guessed it would burn off during the morning. It hadn’t done so by the time I got back with Callie or when we came home from swimming but on the drive into work it was starting to disappear and the sun was peeking through the clouds, albeit as a pale lemon coloured disc. By about 9.30 it has appeared in full glory and was beginning to imagine our bit of South Yorkshire was actually Southern Spain. Phew it was hot.

I had some research to do today for case law, rather than digitising old files, which is always more fun. This time I was looking for sentencing precedents for an appeal against a lenient sentence. There has been a new law enacted which allows victims of crime to appeal against the perpetrators conviction if they feel they have been given an unduly light sentence. [Lots of the lawyers in the firm are quite pleased with this ruling as it means more work and more money! I sometimes wonder if all this legislation which gets passed under the name of fairness isn’t first mentioned by lawyers with an eye for a fast buck.]

So, basically I was given a certain crime (sub judice if I mention it perhaps) and then have been searching for the sentences handed down over the years for similar offences. I had quite a list by the three pm deadline I had been given. I don’t know if it will help of not but the the range of sentences went from the lowest possible to the highest possible under the statute with no discernable reason why (if I had read absolutely everything about every case I would be here for a month of Sundays). The solicitor who asked for the information was pleased with what I had found, which is all that matters.

Laura had been getting grufty again in Repro and my spare lab coat was filthy once more. Apparently it is something to do with the medium they are printing on which doesn’t dry as quickly and they forget this as they don’t use this surface very often. She had a really fetching smudge of it on her cheek below her left eye, she’d obviously no idea it was there. I rubbed it off with a tissue and gave her a quick kiss on the spot where it had been, to my surprise she flung her arms around my neck and gave me a really big hug. She planted a huge smacker on my lips so I responded in kind. I am not sure if we were observed as we stood by my car in the car park but we didn’t care.

On the drive home she confessed that working in Repro, although paying good money, was dullsville in the extreme. She would be glad to be able to take the money and run tomorrow! I sort of figured she may find it not as thrilling as she first thought but it has put a tidy sum into her bank account and she now knows that this kind of work isn’t for her. She has seen what I do and has been amazed that I can sit and transfer old files to computer without being bored to tears, I told her that it would if that was all I did but things like today’s search was like finding diamonds in the ordure. Those were the things I enjoyed doing, so a bit of occasional tedium was quite worth it.

She, quite astutely, agreed saying what I did was very like what I was doing for my PhD research and what I had been doing for my Masters’ so it was no wonder I enjoyed it. Smart cookie, eh?

We had a huge salad for our meal and then I walked down with Laura and Callie to the restaurant, we went the long way, via Onesacre but I promised to fetch her in the car to save her lovely legs from the steep climb back up our hill when she finished.

Dominic was lamenting the fact it was her last but one night for two months when we arrived and he was wondering if the place would be the same without her there. I felt this was over doing it rather, but let him wax on in his histrionic Southern Italian manner. He is one of the good guys after all.

We hit the charp after I’d walked Callie and we’d had a shower. The day had proved as hot as I had feared but the house stays relatively cool being stone built and old. Plus the windows to the bathroom and my bedroom create a really refreshing cool breeze which helps reduce the heat. After a bout of mutual pleasure giving we lay and chatted about Australia. It seems Laura is worried whether Suze and Pete will like her. I reassured her that it was almost certain they would, they know what a difference she has made to my life since we became a couple and they will feel that anyone who can make their sister like her old carefree and happy self is bound to be a person of worth.

As I hugged her before we fell asleep, we often go to sleep hugging each other, I could feel my left breast getting wet. She was crying. “What’s the matter?” I asked.


“Nothing. I just love you so much, “ she said. “I am crying tears of happiness.” It took a hell of a lot of effort not to join her.  [OK, I did a little.]

No comments:

Post a Comment