Wednesday 12 November 2014

Maia gets broody? Oh, Yes!

Friday 7th November.

If ever you needed proof of what a set of lying cheating bastards these Tories are, the debacle over the alleged renegotiation of the EU bill is a case in point. £1.7 billion becomes £850 million because of George (Tax Avoiding lying Cnut) Osborne’s discussions in Brussels. Was it bollox. He never even mentioned it at the meeting. The EU ministers announced that once the UK rebate was taken in to effect it would half the amount. I am so pleased I listen to BBC Radio 4’s “Today” programme. It give you the facts with no spin or bias about absolutely everything.

The downside of this, of course, it makes you realise what a set of incompetent twats the whole set of politicians are. What we need in this country is not reform but revolution. We need to put these funking bar stewards up against a wall and shoot the lot of them! It is particularly relevant just days after Guy Fawkes night – we need a modern version of him to get rid of this scum in Westminster.

Rant over.

Tonight we went to see the Royal Northern Sinfonia (I wonder when they were given the epithet “Royal”?) at the City Hall. They had a mixed programme, possibly of crowd pleasers but they were good nonetheless.

The kicked off with a  little known Mendelssohn overture, The Fair Melusine (I have it on a complete set of Mendelssohn Overtures, but for that I wouldn’t have heard it before at all). This was followed by the Wagner-light digest that is Siegfried Idyll. I like this piece but it doesn’t beat Parsifal (IMHO). After the break we had my third favourite Requiem Mass (The Mozart one). It was done really well and could have lifted its position higher in my estimation where it not for the fact that my numbers one and two are even better musically. So excellent playing and singing alone wouldn’t move it.

During the interval we met up with Mrs Briggs. She joked that we looked like twins! I guess we did, in a way. We had both decided to wear ankle length leggings and baggy top. I had my Mondrian style leggings with a fluffy, plain, cashmere sweater whilst Loll had plumped for plain leggings and an explosive riot of a top. This is a T-shirt with a collage of old master paintings printed all over it.

My two side plaits (being still in tact) pulled my hair back and Laura had achieved a similar effect with a complicated knot in her hair. A bit like a variation on a French Knot.

We talked about the first half and Mrs B admitted she had never heard The Fair Melusine before. We touched on the Mozart to come and Laura said it wasn’t her favourite Mass. When asked which we both preferred we simultaneously came out with ‘Faure’! She laughed and said, that was proof we were twins!

After the performance we walked back to our cars together, she had parked in the same car park. She is thinking of swapping her Mercedes SLK for a Porsche Boxter. I think I may have disappointed her when I showed a distinct lack of enthusiasm for the idea, saying as far as I was concerned a car was just a tin box on wheels used to get you from A to B. She asked why I had bought my new car then? (I bought an ex-demonstrator Kia Cee’d last year). I had to explain it was because when Laura moved in my little Picanto wasn’t roomy enough, so I got something bigger, and cheap, which meant Callie could have her own space in the boot and we used the back seat as our load area. If the Picanto had been big enough I wouldn’t have swapped at all. I don’t think she was convinced. I hope I haven’t offended her.


Saturday 8th November.

We did a food shop this morning (ouch). Dumped the groceries on the kitchen table and headed over to High Bradfield to take a stroll round Agden Reservoir ended up at the Horns for lunch. We were lucky with the weather, it stayed dry despite threatening rain. The pub was not too full (I had booked a table in advance yesterday any way) and we didn’t get hit upon by guys thinking we were fair game. This has happened to us quite often in this particular watering hole. It did a couple of times when we have been together and I can remember five occasions when I was in here by myself that guys tried to chat me up!  

We had an uninterrupted meal, looking at an uninterrupted view across the Strines Valley up to Derwent Edge in the distance which, during the course of our meal, disappeared into the low cloud. I had their home made meat and potato pie, it is always delicious. Laura went for scampi and had a mountain of the little creatures on her plate. I counted 16 pieces of scampi!

The rest of the day was a fairly lazy one, although we did wander into the garden and had another potter about getting the lavender trimmed back and any renegade weeds removed from the raised beds. The lawn could do with a trim but it was too wet. I will have to wait for a dry day to get it scalped, even if it means cutting it in the dark after work.


Sunday November 9th.

We had another lunch out today, in Horsforth as we went to see baby Sophie again. (OK we did really visit my brother and family but baby Sophie is a big draw!)

She is really coming on and has begun to smile at you now. I am not sure if she knows who I am yet but I would like to think she does. Philip was less obnoxious than he sometimes is and we had pleasant chats about life the universe and everything. Even he was appalled by the bare faced lies told by his favourite political party which has given him several million brownie points in my eyes.

Laura and I strolled with Sophie, in a carrying sling, down to the newsagent to buy a Sunday paper and I was asked how old my baby was in the shop! Before I could answer Angela told the shop keeper that she wasn’t my baby at all, it was her little sister. I was her auntie. This is going to sound absolutely pathetic but I was quite saddened by my niece’s interruption. I could happily have pretended Sophie was mine to a complete stranger.

Back at Phil and Jane’s Angela told her folks about how the man in the shop had thought Sophie was my baby. They all laughed. Then little Peter piped up with, “You will have a baby of your own one day, though, won’t you?” I could have hugged him. What a prescient little lad he is after all. Not made of slugs and snails and puppy dogs tails like his father.

Angela wasn’t going to let this go however, she announced, “She won’t. You need a husband to have a baby. Everyone knows that!”

I joked that I could rent a husband for the task. That got her thinking. I was expecting another childhood gem of wisdom from her but I think Phil might have sensed we were heading for quick sand with this conversation so he steered us round to The Snowman instead. They are both looking forward to going to the show (and Phil seems to have got over his little spat about it should be him taking them to things like this). They hadn’t a clue what a matinee was so I explained. They thought that was a great idea but were worried the people in the play wouldn’t be as good as the ones who did the show in the evening!

Lunch was delicious. Jane had cooked a huge leg of pork and we had crackling and apple sauce plus a mound of veggies. It was good to see the kids getting tucked in to their vegetables, often children and vegetables don’t mix! Afterwards we had an amazing chocolate dome dessert, with Cointreau. It was stunning. I asked where Jane had bought it. She mouthed Aldi, at me as though it was something to be ashamed of. I use Morrisons for my weekly shop as there isn’t a convenient Aldi, but Dad has one in Cockermouth and we have shopped there regularly. I told her as much trying to make her less embarrassed. Phil was off the mark with how it was a brilliant, successful retail model and there was no wonder it was doing so well, even despite the recession it was going to succeed once people understood the rationale behind how it operated.

I told him he was being pompous, the only rationale most people used was the fact it saved them money. Angela said that lots of her friends at school used to look down their noses at the idea of shopping at Aldi but now they seemed to have got used to it. They still look down their noses at Lidl, though! Kids, eh?

At around five we made our excuses and left. I did ask if anyone would notice if I smuggled Sophie away with us. Peter said that no-one would mind at all (interesting comment, I thought) Angela was appalled. She told us in no uncertain terms we couldn’t take her with us. It wouldn’t be right and it could be dangerous. I asked her why it could be dangerous. She replied, “You haven’t got a baby seat!”

Apart from eating our meal, and when she had her afternoon nap, I had been cuddling baby Sophie all day. There is something really comforting about having a little life in your care. It makes you feel all grown up and protective and, I don’t know… Maybe I am just getting broody?

Laura says it is because I have never really encountered such little babies before. I was miles away in Norwich, Australia and Cambridge during Peter and Angela’s early childhood and so never got to see them much at all. I was in the UK for the births of all three of Suze and Pete’s kids so I missed their infancy too. Laura is of the opinion that if I was with Sophie 24/7, like she had been with Stephen (her kid brother), the gloss would soon have worn off. Perhaps there is some truth in that. I do know that if Rick hadn’t died, I would most likely have had two of my own by now. That thought made me feel incredibly sad!


I think I do want to be a mother, someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment