Friday 9 August 2013

The First Post Proper.

My Journal

Fri 28th June
My last day as an Archivist today. I am about to step into the unknown. My Research post begins officially on September 1st. I have arranged with Mr Carr and Mrs Briggs that I will do the equivalent of a full day's work there from September once I have sorted out my hours at the University. I am not quite sure how that will work out but I am sure we will find an accommodation.

I zoomed up to Dad's in Cumbria straight after work. I encountered quite a lot of traffic on the M6 which was a surprise.  I finally got settled in at Dad’s by about 6.30pm after I had been to collect his three pooches from the kennel, I had to use Dad’s huge Citroen [C5 Estate] to get the three of them in, they simply wouldn’t fit in my tiny car.  Dad and Louisa are still sailing back down from Stornoway, their last mobile phone message said they had docked at Port Patrick, on the Rhins of Galloway, for the night and would be back in Whitehaven sometime on Saturday. They would phone when they got into the Solway so I could drive down and fetch them.
Laura came round at about 7pm. I hadn’t realised how tired she’d be after a hard day’s work. She’d had her tea at home and then came round for a hug and kiss. We snuggled up on the sofa and she was asleep within minutes! I just let her sleep with her head on my lap. I stroked her hair for what seemed like ages. It was really therapeutic for me and hopefully for her too. She woke up when I lifted her off the sofa to carry her up to my room.  She seriously does weigh nothing at all. She decided she could walk, probably scared I would bash her head on the stairs as I tried to carry her up. She went abluting first and I followed afterwards. When I came out she seemed to have woken up a little and was lying spread eagled, naked, on the bed. Saying, “Make love with me Vicki!” So I did. Well, you have to don’t you?

Sat 29th
I drove Laura to Wigton this morning. She’s working on an industrial estate to the east of the town which I never even knew existed. There are just her and a middle aged woman running the desk and two guys who deliver heavy stuff in a small lorry.
Dad and Louisa arrived safely back from their sail up to Stornoway. I picked them up from the yacht's mooring in Whitehaven Harbour at about 3pm, They looked exhausted.
I walked all four  dogs round the harbour and then up to the Candlestick and watched their yacht sail in. The harbour is the best thing about Whitehaven, to be honest. It is very old in places and a bit ramshackled but it has had some cash thrown at it and boasts a fully serviced marina and a casual visitor marina too. It is the venue for the Whitehaven Festival which is always enjoyable.
I had prepared all the food for the evening meal before I went to fetch the Aged P and his new spouse, Laura came round for meal and stayed the night again. We were regaled by Dad and Louisa’s tales of sailing up to Stornoway. They have not sailed anything so tricky together before. The Northern Passage sounds a pretty daunting place and the Minches even worse. There are just so many small islands and rocks dotted about Scotland’s west coast, no wonder the Armada was smashed to bits round there all those years ago.

Sun 30th
We, Louisa, Dad, Laura and I, went to Silloth Market – it was a very depressing Sunday market. There were hardly any stalls left! A couple of years ago there would have been over two dozen stalls as well as food outlets and four rows of car boot sellers. Today there were less than 10 stalls. After the market we walked along the prom and tested the new shelter – I do hope it doesn’t get vandalised by the yob element in the town. {Why do all places have a yob element?} I really do like Silloth, it is so off the beaten track that it’s like time has forgotten it.  We bought a selection of little nick nacks from Lifeboat shop. Including some very useful magnetic book marks which slip over a page in the book.
We had a very nice Sunday Lunch at the Golf Hotel. On the way back to Dad’s there was a really low tide at Allonby. So we walked the dogs out for miles onto the Solway. It must have been the furthest out I can ever remember going just here.

Monday July 1st
I drove Laura in to Wigton again this morning, I have told her I’ll do it every day this week. After dropping her off I continued on into Carlisle. I went to Marks and Spencers’ and bought some of their Earl Grey Empress Tea bags to take to Suze & Pete. [10 boxes!] Suze just loves the flavour.
Laura had a bit of a tearful evening with me. She now wishes she'd agreed to come with me after all. I told her she still could if she really wanted but she said she although she wished she’d bought a ticket she urgently needed to get some cash behind her for next year and that had to take priority. [She sounds as pragmatic as I was at her age. Fortunately she is not as promiscuous as I was then, that would be too distressing to contemplate.]

Tuesday 2nd
I drove Laura to Wigton.
On my return the aged P had planned a walk, so Dad, Louisa, Dogs and Me went up Great Calva from Orthwaite. It is a really envigorating walk and because it is behind Skiddaw, hardly anyone uses it. We saw four other groups of people and a solo chap and that was all, for the whole day! They were very lovey dovey on the walk. I hope L & I aren't as sick making when we're together. I suppose it is nice really that they are so happy together. I just hope they aren’t actually planning on becoming parents again! Arrgghh!
I had my tea at Laura's house. Molly and Eric seemed a bit weird about me going to Australia. Is there still an issue there? Eric doesn't know I know what he said about me! I wouldn’t be surprised if Eric hopes I’ll stay out there and stop blighting his daughter’s life! Laura and I walked round the village to have a look at the new wind turbines [they’ve put up six]. We were going to indulge in some al fresco eroticism but decided to wait until we got back to my bedroom – it was really buggy outside, which is quite unusual for Cumbria! I didn't want an insect bite on my bum, to be honest!

Wednesday 3rd
I drove Laura to Wigton.
Then Callie and I went on to Keswick Market. It was so much better than Silloth. It was very busy and bustling. I suppose it is the tourists who make it successful really. I stocked up on Kummel for my room's secret stash from Booth’s supermarket [it is one of the few places I can actually find it to buy!]
The pup and I strolled to Lodore along the Lake shore, a very leisurely amble really. We had a cuppa and piece of cake at the Shepherd’s Crag Café, which is open every day in the height of the season. We caught the Derwentwater ferry back to Keswick. I was tempted to spend a fortune on the market as it was stacked full of stall bearing delightful things. I Resisted! I am a good girl with money, honest.

Thursday 4th
I drove Laura to Wigton.
This evening I turned out for the Dad's quiz team. Louisa & Laura were co-opted on too, but they just watched really.
We were at home so Esther and Paul made a slap up after quiz meal for us. They always do something unexpected instead of the usual pub match fare – which tends to be boring old plates of sandwiches. Tonight we had salad filled wraps. The meat in the wraps was various different kinds of curried meat. They were gorgeous. I had three.
We wowed the others with The Dad & Daughter show; between us Dad and I answered more than 60% of our teams questions. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, the team lost by two points. It was all down to a bloody question about TV soap opera which nobody on our team knew.  It was a bit disappointing really, we answered all the serious knowledge type questions correctly and were undone by something from the knobhead culture in our society.
What a bummer.
The millennium sculpture on Derwentwater shore. Yes, that is a long haired Weimaraner in the Lake.  This was taken months ago but is an iconic feature of the lake side walk to Lodore.

The view from the decking at the back of Dad's house. Louisa's head in the foreground. (Another old photo.)

The beach at Allonby with a silly Weimaraner belonging to YT.
Yes, that's Callie.
 
I hope I have nae been to boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment