Saturday 31 August 2013

Parting is such sweet sorrow.


Summer Diary 2013 – Week Eight.

Friday 23rd August.

The lotto winner went swimming with us this morning but had calmed down considerably compared to last night. She decided to join in with the Aquarobics class again. I think that was mainly to stop Suze blabbing about her Mum’s good luck if she wasn’t there.

After dropping the kids off Mum decided that today she'd like to go to Serpentine Dam and Falls. I had to admit I hadn’t been there before but Mum told me I had, when I was about three. Mum drove across the coastal plain and then into the Darling Hills where falls are located. They reminded me a little of Hardraw Force in the Yorkshire Dales but without all the trees. We were the only people there but lots of wild roos had decided to come and look at the falls too, or at least to explore the car park and picnic area. They were all Western Greys by the look of it and some were tame enough to allow themselves to be stroked. Mum said we ought to have brought some rabbit pellets as the roos would probably feed from our hands if we had. [I didn’t know that.]

To get from the Falls to Serpentine Dam we had to go back into Jarrahdale. This was a really quaint bush town. It was definitely one of these one horse places I have described before. Although this time probably literally. There was one pub/restaurant and when we walked in we experienced one of those classic film moments where everyone stops what they are doing to watch the strangers arrive! It was definitely an un-nerving experience. Fortunately the bar person was friendliness itself [and also female]. We asked if it was possible to have a cup of tea and she told us they did it by the pot if we wanted! That was a surprise. An even bigger surprise was the fact they had Earl Grey!

We ordered sandwiches and chips for lunch and were staggered by the size of the plateful of sandwiches we were given. We had ordered the same filling for our sandwiches [I know, we can’t help it]: Ham salad. The bar lady brought us a platter with over a dozen quartered ham salad sangers and a bowl of chips that looked like a scale model of Bluff Knoll [WA’s highest mountain]. The ham was smoked and delicious. The chips were so obviously home-made and the nicest tasting ones I have eaten for quite a while. Mum said they reminded her of the chips we get in the Plough at Bradfield [where I sometimes take her for lunch at the weekend]. She was right, they were just the same. When we had finished eating (and were on our second pot of tea) Mum asked if the chips were double fried. It seems they were and the bar lady was pleased we had noticed, she was very proud of her chips.

From here we drove on to Serpentine Dam. On our arrival I had a sort of vague recollection of it, although whether that was a real one or one brought on by a couple of photographs, I don’t know. Mum used to have one of her and Dad standing by the railings of a huge dam wall, with the reservoir snaking off into the distance, in a frame on the sideboard. It was this very spot! Mum may have mentioned where it was taken but it hadn’t registered at all, until now. I said, “This is where….” She interrupted, “Yes, where the photo at home was taken. That was a marvellous holiday. It was also the last time you were here, too! Phil was holding you in his arms while this stranger took the picture for us. There is one of all four of us somewhere too. I think I gave it to Phil.” Wow, it just goes to show how powerful memories are doesn’t it?

I suddenly remembered, really vividly, something which happened when we were here last. This was where I dropped Dad’s camera case into the water, wasn’t it? Phil climbed down the rocks to get it from where it had lodged by the out fall. I can’t remember much but I do recall feeling scared that he might fall in too. She told me that was exactly right. I had been really upset because I thought Dad would be cross, it was a new camera [Canon Sureshot] bought especially for the trip and because it was simple enough for us kids to use –even me- I had been entrusted to hold the case. Probably I wasn’t told off, mainly because that happened so rarely I would have remembered it. Phil had played the hero and scrambled down to the water’s edge where the case had got stuck. He was able to fetch it out and give it back to Dad. The case wasn’t leather and wasn’t damaged at all. It’s funny how stuff comes flooding back, isn’t it? I haven’t thought about that for years and years.

We pottered back to Warnbro in time to collect the kids from school. Mum drove us the scenic route back – down to Rocky Beach then along the route I had walked and cycled during my stay. I had a brain wave whilst we were driving. Because I love the shore here so much I have asked Mum to drive me along it again during the week, so that I can film it on my camera. That way I’ll have a real time record of what it looks like. My camera will film for several minutes as I put a 32Gb micro SD card in it. Rah rah rah!

I Skyped Laura this evening, around midnight so that she’d be back from work. She was at Dad’s! She had gone round there as Dad & Louisa were upset so she and Molly had gone to find out why. Dad & L had gone to Gilbert’s in Crosby Villa yesterday, this is a small village just down the lane from Tallentire. One of my friends lives there Sue (and Iain her husband) too. They live just round the corner from Gilbert. It seems they had gone walking from Gilbert’s place, up the road a little and then down to the railway line, from there they followed the railway line south intending to end up in Crosby at the Stag Inn. They didn’t get that far. It seems Charlie, one of Gilbert’s Chocolate Labs got through the railway fence and was killed by a passing train! OMG. I am not surprised Dad & Louisa were upset. It is horrible news. Not only did Gilbert have his two dogs with him Dad had his three and Callie. I just started crying when Laura told me this, I asked her to put Dad on and he was quite shocked still.

He told me the other dogs hadn’t gone through the fence at all and were never in any danger. It still didn’t stop the awful feeling I had in the pit of my stomach that I could have lost my precious puppy. Charlie had been nicknamed Houdini by the people of Crosby Villa because he was always getting out of Gilbert’s garden. He used to be brought back home at least once a week. Barney, the other dog, was far more laid back and used to wait in the garden with his tail wagging waiting for his mate to come home. Gilbert is heartbroken, as you can imagine.

The train driver stopped and was pretty upset too. He called the British Transport Police and they were there quite speedily. They had brought a replacement driver and retrieved Charlie’s remains from the track. Apparently hitting animals on the track is more common than you’d think but they are usually sheep or cattle. The Policeman couldn’t remember a dog being struck by a train before.

Laura was stunned by it all you could tell and very pale – even more pale than she usually is! She got some colour back when I reminded her I would be home next week. She can’t wait for me to return. I will be back to give her mega hugs on Friday [around lunchtime]. I will drive down to Sheffield on the Sunday so I can report in for work on the Monday morning. Dad tells me this will be a formality, they have a couple of new lecturers etc starting from September 1st too, they will be given their formal induction and then told to return about two weeks later. I hope the same happens for me because I will be straight back to Dad’s and Laura.

 

Saturday 24th August.

Swimming again this morning and once more Mum went to the Aquarobics class instead of swimming lengths. She really seems determined to stop Suze blabbing about her lotto win to the other ladies in the class.

We went to Subi Oval to watch the Dockers against Port Adelaide. Apparently, it was on the TV news last night, the game has sold out! It must be all of us closet fans creeping out of the woodwork, eh? They also said the club wanted everyone to wear something white for the match too, so this morning we spent some time assembling our wardrobes accordingly. The Dockers do have a white strip as well as their usual purple, so the girls and Suze had their replica white Guernseys to wear. Even Pete and Jeff went in white. I found a white top to wear which I didn’t know I’d brought with me, embarrassingly it has the slogan “Queen Bitch” written in lurid pink across the front. Mum has surprised us all with a sweatshirt she bought when she was here last, which is white, with a huge, black, letter F on the front surrounded by black and white drawings of sea birds and the word Fremantle written at the bottom. I have never seen it before and she admits that she has hardly worn it at all in the UK. It shows. It looks brand new.  We did the usual trick of parking in Freo and catching the train into Subi. Like we did last time we had a bite to eat, before the game, in Subiaco. Kick off was at 5.40pm.

Match report: We won. Again Freo’s score went into the hundreds (134pts) while Port Adelaide couldn’t even scrape half that total. (60) The win has moved the Dockers up to third in the ladder. It will take the other clubs in the league to do us a favour if we are to hit second spot, but who knows? There was no respite from the Dockers attack for PA they were just outplayed and quite frankly, hapless in every quarter of the match. One anomaly though – the TV news said the match had been sold out but when the attendance figures were announced on the Tannoy it said 35 and a half thousand spectators were present. For the Derby match with the Eagles there were nearly 42 thousand in the crowd. Shome mishtake there then, hic!

I have to say that despite the fact the Eagles may miss out on the play offs Pete and Jeff were swept along in the euphoria of the win. Maybe it was Mum’s infectious enthusiasm and partisan yelling which brought them round? Who knows? Mum was a picture of righteous fury at several points during the game although I think her grasp of the rules is even scantier than mine!

We did Mum’s trick again to get ourselves a seat back into Fremantle on the train. I hope the weather is fine tomorrow as I am looking forward to a family Barbie in the bush out at Wungong Reservoir. Mum went and bought a whole load of steak for us and some ready-made kebabs from the butchers at Warnbro Shopping centre this morning. There will be a whole pile of green salad and some home-made dressed salads too – we spent the morning making a pasta salad, a couscous salad and a potato salad. It should fill a gap. [I didn’t know until we got back from the game that Mum has invited Alex and Chris to join us. That’s why we have prepared enough food for an army!]

I had an e-mail waiting for me from Laura, when I fired up my tablet back at Chaos Castle, it just had a huge number 6 as the message and lots of small kisses at the bottom! Ah, bless.

 

Sunday August 25th.

We went swimming with the Sunday Swimmers again this morning. I lost my goggles somewhere between the bedroom [study] and the pool so I had to swim without them. My eyes were stinging like billy-o for ages afterwards. When we got back to S & P’s they were on the telephone table, waiting to be picked up. Durr! That’s where’d I put them down when someone called at the ungodly hour of quarter to seven this morning! The ‘someone’ was the clinic in Mandurah where Suze works, asking if it was possible for her to make a half shift this afternoon. She turned them down because she was taking Mum and me out for the Barbie. It is strange to hear yourself referred to as ”the Kid sister”.

When Pete came back from collecting the Sunday Papers he asked me if I was alright and had I been crying? I explained about the red eyes and forgetting the goggles. He told me that the more your eyes sting at the pool, it means the more people have been weeing in the water! Yuck or what?

I have been to Wungong Reservoir before but, as Mum told me, I was a toddler once again! I don’t remember this one at all. We drove across the dam wall and then down a track that brought us to a picnic spot right by the water’s edge. Here Pete put up a gazebo (!) and then started to collect fire wood for the Barbie. There was a cast iron Barbie, shaped like a half barrel, but no wood near it. Usually the wood provision is done by the ranger service, they must have been too busy to do it this week. Once the fire was lit we waited for the thing to get hot by walking along the lake shore and trying to spot lizards. There is an extensive set of walks around the bush area [which Mum says weren’t here before] and we trooped off – that’s Mum, Suze, Jill, Annabelle, Jeff and me - on a way-marked stroll that said it was three to four kilometres. Being close to the lake shore most of the way it was fairly flat, the only time the path rose was to take us up to the visitor car park and café to the east of the dam wall. From there we tracked down through the woods coming back to the lake shore and a Barbie hot enough to cook on.

Mum insisted on putting aluminium foil on the hot plate before putting the food on! I mean the heat would have killed off any nasties lurking on there. We had the Kebabs first and just as they were ready Alex and Chris arrived [late] having got lost and spending an age finding the right road out of Bedford Dale. They came down Admiral Road OK but then ended back up on the Albany Highway! Alex refused to turn round but was adamant he could find a way back - which took them even further away. In the end he had to retrace his route and eventually found us. Just in time to eat.

They had brought masses of food too, so we ended up not cooking some of our meat and put it back in the esky to eat at home tomorrow. A & C were miffed that they’d missed our little walk so we went off again for a post prandial digestive walk, the direct route, back up to the visitor café to fetch some ice cream to go with the dessert which Chris had brought. They had a small fabric cool bag in their car which was handy and we bought four litres of ice cream which just fitted in nicely. Two vanilla flavour, one Cherry Swirl and One Chocolate. One of the dessert items was barbequed bananas in their skins. I normally hate bananas being cooked in anything but these were delicious; especially with a dab of chocolate ice cream. 
Alex and Pete shared a case of beer. [Swan Gold] and we had wine or watered down wine [the kids]. This proved very silly because at about three pm we all realised we had to drive back. Chris said she’d had only the one glass so she was OK but the Rhodes and Jay-Smith adults had to play a rock paper scissors game to see who would have to attempt a quick sobering up. Suze lost! She said she’d be fine if she had a lot of coffee and ate some more carbohydrates.  We’d brought four large flasks of boiling water to make hot drinks so Suze had two huge mugs of hot coffee and three burgers in buns. She then came for another stroll along the lake shore with us girls while the blokes continued to guzzle their beer.

At about five the wind got up, probably the edge of the Doctor blowing in, so we packed up and set off back in convoy to Rockingham. It was a really good day. We had a good giggle. Played several games of jumbo Jenga on the picnic table and had a mammoth pass the pigs-athon. We got very silly at this; developing unusual techniques for our throws and calling them mad names. Maia’s Misguided Muddle proved quite successful, I think this was because I threw a pig from each hand crossing my arms just before the release. I scored no ‘pig outs’ at all using this method! That has to be a statistical anomaly.

At home we watched the fiasco that was the end of the fifth test. I thought the Aussie declaration was a very sporting gesture and that England was certain to win but then the Umpires pulled the idiotic stunt with the light. Four overs to go and 21 runs to win! How stupid was that? I suppose, in all fairness, a draw was the best result, especially in light of the Aus declaration.

I had a whole slew of e-mails arrive for me: another large number from Laura; one from Mrs Briggs telling me they were looking forward to me coming back in September and to apologise for giving Christopher my e-mail address; one from Julie saying the house was fine, it smelled a bit unloved when she did the post the other day but then she realised my reed-diffuser had run out. She set the second one going on the kitchen table, left there for that very eventuality. There was one from Phil and Jane – Jane’s kid sister had passed her A Levels with the grades she needed and was definitely going to Leeds Uni in September. A long rambly, chatty, silly one from Kaybers, commiserating about the Nadia incident. Another one from the mad woman herself. One from the landlady of the pub where we have been winning their Thursday night quiz. One from the restaurant where Laura will be working in September, they’ve lost her e-mail address [but had mine?] and wanted her addy. Plus one from Christopher.

Christopher is a guy [from the law firm] who had been accompanying me to concerts at the Sheffield City Hall, as I wanted a change from going with Mum. I’d asked in the office for a companion and he’d piped up. Sadly, after a few concerts, he started to think I was really wanting him to get into my knickers too, so I stopped going with him. I had made it so clear I only wanted a concert companion but no, he had to be a pillock! Anyway, the reason for his e-mail isn't knickers diving related [I think] he has recorded one of the BBC Proms for me and made a copy – it is of Nigel Kennedy’s new interpretation of the Four Seasons and, according to Christopher, it is unbelievable. I had seen this concert in the proms guide which came with the BBC Music Magazine [I’m a subscriber] and I thought it sounded good. He says he has put the recording on to a DVD and I will be stunned by the interpretation. Oh Dear, I hope this won’t mean he start trying to be lovey dovey again. I mean he is a nice guy and everything but he looks [and dresses] like an insurance salesman!

Monday August 26th.

We went to the pool again this morning and Mum went to Aquarobics again! I went into Rockingham by myself after dropping off the kids as I wanted to get something to take back for Laura. I had seen a beautiful matching pair of necklaces, they are gold hearts with a bright blue Lapis Lazuli centre on a gold chain. They are absolutely gorgeous. I bought one for Laura and one for me. The gold holds the Lapis in place and when you hold it up to the light they are translucent. They are simply adorable. I think she’ll love it. I hope she does.

They were a bit expensive, especially as the exchange rate is so terrible, but I had taken my passport and return flight ticket to the jewellers’ and they have taken off the sales tax. Rah, rah, rah! I showed it to Mum when I got home and she wanted to know which jewellers’ they were in and were there any more different pieces? I told her where it was and she is going to have a look sometime before she comes back home. [That is in mid to late September, I think.]

We zoomed off to RSHS as soon as S & P were home and sure enough the kids were bounding out to meet us at the gate by 2.35pm. Pete drove us along the Kwinana Freeway up into Perth and then across Narrows Bridge. This gives you the most wonderful view of the city centre sitting being the Swan River, looking so clean and modern. Surprisingly, the traffic was very light for the time of day and we made uninterrupted progress all the way to Osborne Park. We came off the freeway by the big lake [Lake Monger, I think] the route was pretty easy to find as was Lotterywest HQ. There was a big car park in front but it was almost full, there was extra parking on Walter’s Drive itself so we parked there.

I don’t know what we were expecting but it was quite a disappointment. There was no ceremony or bells and whistles. The HQ itself is very modern and mainly glass with a huge quarter spherical canopy over the main entrance made from glass, too. Inside the receptionist was quick and efficient and directed us to accounts where Mum was presented with a cheque after her ticket was verified. The cheque was printed out there and then in accounts and the whole transaction was quite slick and a bit anonymous really. It could well have been a person using a post office. We all felt a bit deflated after all our excitement about winning. Pete drove us onto Scarborough beach, Walter’s Drive is just off Scarborough Beach Road, where we pulled up at one of the beach front cafés and had huge ice-cream desserts. This place has also been so redeveloped since Mum was here last. It is quite astounding how much money must have been spent in Western Australia making it an extremely attractive place to want to live [so long as you don’t mind being in the most isolated capital city in the world – at the end of a 2000 mile cul-de-sac from Adelaide].

We drove home the coastal road way and as this crossed the Swan River quite close to Bicton we detoured there to show Mum Suze and Pete’s old house. It is on Birdwood Circus West and was a lovely house but in a really densely built up area. Mum wanted them to stop and ask the new owners if she could have a look at where her daughter used to live. Eventually Pete relented and we stopped. There was no-one home. Never mind.

I remember the place really well from my Gap Year [2005/06] and then after Richard died I spent over a year there as well. It is quite high up and has a view across the Swan River [although the Swan itself isn’t visible from the house] and it is a house – two storeys high. This is unusual for Australia, most are single storey homes. If Suze and Pete could have moved the house they would have, it really was a smashing place to live. You did feel surrounded though, which at Warnbro you don’t. Partly this was because the house was behind another one and you reached it via a long driveway, that was all that is visible of the house from Birdwood Circus. Plus, their new house at Warnbro is just a short step to the beach which is a lot more interesting than the river, in my humble opinion.

We got home to a huge chicken casserole for dinner which was left to cook itself while we were out. I was prevailed upon to do my vegetable rice again which is so easy but they like the way I make it – I use saffron in it, you see. We cracked the most expensive bottle of wine we had brought back from Margaret River as a compensation and celebration combined. Jill was allowed an un-watered down glass! She didn’t like it all! We refused to turn it into a spritzer, with lemonade, and Mum drank it instead. One does have standards!

Tuesday 27th August.

I don’t want to go home. I have only two days left and I am going to miss everyone so much. It was easier at Christmas when I left the family up in Broome on their yacht, flew down to Jandakot Airport alone, and spent the last two days before my departure pottering about in Bicton by myself. This time Mum’s here and Suze, Pete and the kids are too and I get a lump in my throat when I think about leaving.

When I left to take up my job in Sheffield, in 2010, that was the dawning of a new chapter in my life and I was leaving behind the darkest time of my life, after Richard’s death. It was easy to leave with optimism and a newly invigorated sense of adventure. I'm starting a third chapter in my life since then when I get back. New job [again]; my girlfriend is moving in with me, I have a lot of new experiences and challenges ahead. I guess it is leaving the comfort of family and stepping into the unknown again. It is safer and easier to stay where you are and do the same old thing.

I am frightened about Laura moving in. She is making a huge commitment, changing University mid-course. Going to a city she hardly knows. Starting a part time job. I don’t want to be responsible for messing it all up. I hope I don’t. She is making an enormous sacrifice coming to live with me and I am doing sod all in comparison. OK, I will have a new job, but it is really just an extension of what I was doing for the latter part of my MA. The only difference will be the hours of teaching I have committed to and being part of the staff. I should breeze through these changes. Loll has to start again, almost, new tutors, new friends etc - all that as a second year. It might be tough for her. She is a bit of an innocent at large really. She was a virgin when we started our relationship [I suppose technically, by dictionary definition, she still is]; she is quite naïve at times and a little too trusting in people. These are things I love her for. I hope moving her doesn’t change her too much.

Another worry is the thoughts I keep having about wanting a penis inside me from time to time. Why am I thinking that? What can I do about it? Should I tell little Loll or not?  I wasn’t a lesbian before I began my relationship with her and she knows that. I don’t fancy other women either.  Why does life get so bloody complicated?

Enough navel gazing. We had another good swim, Mum did lengths today and I suppose Suze must’ve told the other women in Aquarobics about the win and our disappointment in collecting the winnings. Quite a few of the ladies came over and offered congrats to Mum in the changing room as we were drying off. We caught the train up to Perth, after dropping the kids off at school and spent the day looking at Perth from a tourist’s point of view. It is very clean and modern and if it wasn’t for the glorious weather most of the time, it could be anywhere really. We hired bikes for two hours and cycled through King’s Park. Again I had done this as a child but couldn’t remember. It is brilliant really, a real life example of pure, unadulterated bush in the middle of the city. There are the cycle ways through it but that’s all! What a great idea. So many European cities couldn’t do this if they wanted to because the land had been used and reused so many times in those places. There are a couple of viewpoint towers in the park and, of course, we climbed those. The ones which overlooked the Swan had magnificent views. It is when you come and do stuff like this you can see the attraction of living here all the time.

We couldn’t find the car back at Rockingham Station. Until we realised we were looking for the old Hyundai hire car Mum had last week, not the van! What drongos! We made a pact not to tell Suze and Co or we’d never hear the end of it. We were getting pretty desperate at one point and I was on the verge of going to report a stolen car to the attendant when I realised what we’d been doing! OMG, what a pair of dozy pillocks we must have been.

I guess I could have met up with Nadia while we were in Perth but, to be honest, I didn’t feel like opening myself up for any more grief. I know she’s left apologetic messages on Suze’s answer machine and sent a few e-mails saying she’s sorry but… I don’t know, I think I am not going to let her off the hook that easily. I may go and see her in Northern Ireland before the “Derry, City of Culture” thing finishes and I’ll take Laura with me to assault Nadia’s sensibilities and prejudices! Although that wouldn’t be fair on little Loll at all.

Dinner was quite a subdued affair really. I hope I haven’t infected everyone with my sense of melancholy at the thought of me leaving. Also we were eating the uncooked meat from the Barbie on Sunday which made it feel like a cast off meal.

It’s my last full day tomorrow, and then I’ll be flying back on Thursday. There will be tears. I just know it.

Wednesday August 28th.

Not the final swim! I am going to do one on the morning of my departure. My flight isn’t until the end of tomorrow almost, so I could do all sorts of things. So that is exactly what I did.

Today I decided I wanted to go to Mandurah again and have a last look round before going home. Mum and I drove down in the van, after dropping the kids off. We found a cycle hire place just over the River and hired bikes again. This was a great idea. We cycled round Hall’s Head and went to places in Mandy I’d never been to before! Coming back over the old wooden bridge we saw that the dolphins were back in the shallows alongside the promenade so we zoomed down there to watch them.

We cycled round the new development towards the mouth of the river and went to the beach areas along there too. I showed Mum the theatre where I’d taken the kids at Christmas. She didn’t even know the place existed. It is actually called the Mandurah Performing Arts Centre which I suppose allows it far more scope in its booking policy. There looks like there is a great kids’ show coming up about a cleaning lady and a Dinosaur but it’s on October. I will have to write the date on the kitchen white board.

We cycled all around Breakwater Parade looking at the new harbour and the new accommodation, we’d just got down to the beach proper when it started raining! I don’t believe it. The first proper rain I’ve been in since we were in Albany weeks ago. We dived into the nearest café and waited until the rain passed over. It was a good thing the café was here as the heavens really opened and it threw it down. It was a full two pots of tea and a piece of cake each before it had eased off sufficiently to ride back to the cycle hire place. Phew. We were quite lucky we had the bikes to get us out of the rain pronto. I was quite amazed by the amount of building which has gone on along the northern shore of the town. When I was out here in 2010 there was hardly any, now there are masses of new houses there. Where is all the money coming from to build these places? I hope there isn’t a housing bubble about to burst like what happened in the mid 2000’s.

We drove back to Warnbro and then on the way to pick up the kids Mum drove along the coast road so I could film the journey with my phone. The picture is bit wobbly in places and the engine is much noisier than I would have expected it to be and you have mine and Mum’s inane conversation going on in the background. Hardly a Steven Spielberg production. Once we’d picked the kids up we tried again and this time we got them to do a running commentary of what we were driving past. This was still as noisy (engine-wise) but much better than my first attempt. I have been made to promise that I will do the same at home and sent them the results so they can see where I live and my little house. I have talked about my home and the places I go dog walking with Callie so much that they are all desperate to see what it looks like. This could be a project for the first few days when I get back to the UK.

In places their commentary is really silly: “And here is where Aunt Vicki was stopped by the police for riding her bicycle in a manner that was likely to endanger others”- Jill. “That sand bar leads to Penguin Island and last Christmas Aunt Vicki almost drowned us all by walking us out across it to the island” – Jeff. “Here’s is where Aunt Vicki threw her ice-cream cornet all down my neck and the back of my tea-shirt when I was little and then tried to scrape it off and eat it because it was her favourite flavour; Turkish Delight” – Annabelle [That was in 2006 and she was a tiny wee thing, I’d tripped up the kerb. I hadn’t even eaten any of the damned thing either. I am surprised she still remembered it!] You then get my Mum saying: “She has often done that. She once spilled trifle down herself when she was about five so she took off her dress and tried to eat the trifle from her dress.” That’s followed by me going, “Oooh that’s a lie.”   Long pause…. “It was my dungarees!”

They all rushed off when we got home as they were taking me out to the Posh restaurant on Safety Bay Road for my dinner and they wanted to get spruced up. As it was a school night we were booked in for just before 6pm. Alex and Chris and Sally and Barry joined us at the restaurant and we had a really enjoyable meal. I had mussels (Moules Marinere). They were local ones and absolutely delicious. The dessert was Lemon Meringue Pie! Yaay! My all-time favourite. The restaurant had a BYO licence, so we brought three Margaret River bottles with us (they charge a small corkage fee) but I only had a taste of each as I didn’t want to be flying back with a hangover! They were just as nice as I remembered them from our tasting.

The guests went home after the meal, leaving us lot by ourselves back at Chaos Castle. The kids were packed off to bed at about 10 (except Jill) and we sat and chatted about what we’d be doing in the next few weeks. I asked if Loll and I can come out next winter [our summer] and all three said “Yes!” almost instantly. I will not take no for an answer from my absent partner; the balance in my savings won’t be depleted as the interest they will have earned between now and next year will more than will cover what we’ll spend. S & P, following Phil’s advice, invested their share of Gran’s inheritance in a managed trust fund and it is earning them quite a lot more than I am getting. [Although afterwards when I converted dollars to pounds it actually works out at around the same!] They’ll have enough to put all three through University without denting their capital amount at all! This is after buying their really expensive boat, too.

The boat is still up in Broome, where one of Pete’s cousins [he does have loads of cousins] is looking after it for them and sailing around the coast taking “Bespoke day charters” in it. They are splitting the money made 60/40 and letting him live on the boat until Christmas. [He gets the 40.] When we come next year they’ll have the boat back at one of the moorings on the Swan and so we’ll be able to go out with them on a weekend. [Or longer if we can manage to arrive in time to hit the July two week school holiday! That would be brilliant – assuming Laura is a good sailor.]

It was almost 1pm by the time we finally turned in!

 

Thursday 28th August.

Well that was it.

We went swimming again this morning. I had no packing to do as I had done it all yesterday afternoon when we got back from our epic filming. I have given Mum the little presents I have bought for each of them [I got those when I went to buy the Lapis necklaces] she will give them to everyone when I am in mid-flight. Breakfast was a bit dour, to be honest. Today proved to be a bit outside normal parameters. Mum and drove the kids to school and then headed back to Chaos Castle. I asked her if she fancied cycling to Rocky Front, so on we pottered to Rockingham beach, following the coast road route. We parked the bikes up and had a stroll along the second jetty at RB, as there were no fishermen on it

We had a slightly tearful scene as Mum asked, “Is there where you, you know?” I had to admit it was. I was all set to swim out towards Garden Island and beyond until one of Suze’s friends and her daughter happened to stop me.

“You know…  it would have killed me too, if you had.”

I told her that I had loved him so much and my world had fallen apart. Bloody Romeo and Juliet, eh? We actually laughed. There on the jetty at Rockingham Beach, where her daughter had almost committed suicide, Mum and I laughed about it. I told her I do still miss him. She said that was only to be expected. We had pledged ourselves to a life together and it was all cruelly taken away from me, what did I expect? I would miss him all my life but I had moved on. She told me that although she hated Dad for what he had done, a part of her wished she and him were still together. I reminded her that I knew all this after our late night drunken chat in Margaret River. We had a giggle about that too.

We wobbled on to Railway Terrace and had a pot of tea and a cake in the big beach front café, cherry scones, chock full of cherries [but without almonds, like I put in them]. It felt really strange to think I would be leaving Mum here but in a few weeks time she’d be back in Sheffield and we’d be doing all the Mum / daughter things we used to as normal. I asked her if she’d miss school. She was adamant she wouldn’t but then revised her opinion and was equally as adamant that she would. She’ll not miss the petty bureaucracy but she will miss the people, the staff and more especially the pupils. She was touched by the number of them that had actually given her good luck cards or even presents before she left. It had almost made her want to stay on!

We had a very leisurely cycle back and then sat reading until it was time to fetch the kids back from school. Dinner was early and we had done huge hot BLT baps with either a spicy relish or a thousand island type dressing. The kids hadn’t had them before which I found surprising. I suppose they may be more of an adult taste.

At about 7 we all piled into the van for the drive to Perth International. My flight left at 10.30 ish and check in had to be two hours before. [I’m writing this before hitting the land of nod in a Business Class seat – I asked if there were any upgrades available and the guy on the desk found me a BC Seat until Dubai. Good man!]

We said our goodbyes at the airport which were sad, as you can imagine. However, my next visit is already pencilled in so I will be back in not too long a time. I told them not to wait to watch the plane take off as it would make them very late home. I don’t know if they did or not as I was in the departure lounge. Even Jeff consented to be hugged. Annabelle insisted on being last. I swirled her round and round and she clung on tight with her arms round my neck. I told her to make the most of it as there’d come a time when she’d grow out of this. She said “Never!” She also whispered, “Look in your makeup bag when you get home.” What’s she put in there I wonder?

I waved them off and went into the departure lounge thinking just how lucky I was. My family are brilliant. I love them all so much. I hope they like what they find in the envelope I left before we departed. It’s on the desk in the study. We had a picture taken at the Dockers vs Eagles derby match. It is of the Rhodes family supporters (and me) in our partisan team colours, full of excitement just before the game. A photographer was taking shots of people and giving them a card with a number on. The number was the photo reference number. We are all huddled together over one of the advertising hoardings outside the Subi Oval, it has the match details emblazoned across it.  I discretely contacted him and have had an A4 sized print made, which he also framed for me. I collected it from the Poste Restante facility at Rockingham Beach this morning where it had been waiting about a week. I hope they like it. I am sure they will. I have a 10 by 8 tucked away in my luggage of the same shot – I’ll find a frame for it when I get home.

Go Dockers! [OK, and Eagles.]

Go Rhodes! Go Jay-Smiths!

Dubai here I come. I only cried a little. Honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment