Friday 22 November 2013

A student limpet and January's Friday nights sorted!

Monday 18th November.
Phew. Getting up early was no problem. Driving back down was a bit hairy at times. The amount of traffic as we hit the outskirts of Manchester was incredible, especially as it was just 7.15 am! What the hell must it be like at the heart of the rush hour? I didn’t pour Laura on to the back seat of Quokka but she was asleep within minutes of us hitting the A66. She woke up as we got to the Flouch Inn Roundabout on the Woodhead route over the Pennines [I know the Flouch Inn has been marooned by the new road, but everyone still calls it the Flouch Inn Roundabout.] We were home by 8.30.
At my broom cupboard door was a certain Amanda Scothern. She was waiting for me with a wide grin on her face and a bunch of flowers in her hand. She just turned round, saw me approaching and gave me a huge hug. She then spent the next few minutes apologising, every other sentence, while she told me that going to Hull and back was exactly what she had needed. I sort of hoped it would be. We are having lunch in the refec later as I had work to do and she was late for a 9 am lecture!
At lunch we got a blow by blow account of the entire weekend. It was quite an eye opener into how other people live their lives. She had seen her old boyfriend and was able to tell him to his face that it was definitely over and he had to stop pestering her or she would set her brother on him! I had wondered [OK Laura had wondered and I agreed] that there might have been a guy at the bottom of it all. Bloody men, eh? Like a woman after my own heart, she had dumped him on moving away from Hull and he couldn’t accept the fact. That sounds so familiar! LOL. We had a long moan about men in general and then she started going on about how she really fancied one of her lecturers!
Feli was intrigued by our weekend on Arran and accepted, immediately, the offer of coming to stay on the island during one of the vacations. I still keep breaking out into enormous demented looking grins at the thought of owning something there which we can visit whenever we want! I transferred my half of the money to Dad’s bank account this morning, which means almost my entire dividend for the first half of the year has now been spent! I was going to use it to pay some more of my mortgage off, but that will have to wait until the next lot is due at the end of March.
After work we went food shopping as we were so Mother Hubbardy back home. We drew up a menu for the week over lunch and Mandy [as she prefers to be known] was really impressed by the idea. She had never even thought of doing that, she just buys her food as and when – which must cost her an absolute fortune. We still managed to spend over £100 altogether, despite having our menu for the week planned out. We had a large stir fry with prawns for tea as it is quick and Loll was back at the restaurant for 7.
I was able to tell Dominic that Dad would be going to Germany [Cochem] during the first weekend in December so he could expect his wine soon after. The revised plan was that he and Louisa would go, I would stay in the UK and then on the way back they’d come up to Sheffield and drop my wine off (and Dominic’s) and break the journey with an overnight stay. I was a bit disappointed at his revision of our plans as I was looking forward to seeing Uncle Hilmar and the family again. Still, as Laura said, why can’t we go under our own steam in the New Year? I could get Callie a doggy passport and she could come too! Taking a Weimaraner back to Germany has a certain humour attached to it. Before he goes I will have to ask Dad to find out if there is a time we can make a visit.
Laura found me fast asleep on the sofa again, when she got back in from work. Needle in hand, embroidery on my lap. This time the TV was on as I had tried to watch “Last tango in Halifax” but had nodded off halfway through it. Luckily Loll had wanted to watch it, too, so it is recorded on my PVR. We missed the first series but I bought the boxed set [I buy a lot of boxed sets of TV shows] and we both loved it. Bloody hell. Do you realise I think this may be the first TV show I have mentioned in this entire blog? I don’t count watching Aussie Rules Football with my family in OZ.   
Tuesday November 19th.
Today was our first time at the pool since Thursday. Sarah is having trouble keeping track of our comings and goings. I told her about the trip to Arran and buying the van. She said she had one of the sweaters! I had to tell her that was the other Aran. She hadn’t realised there were two. Quite a lot of people don’t. She was surprised and said I didn’t look the type to be buying a static caravan. I asked her what type of person does buy one but she couldn’t answer. I told her about going halves with Dad and suddenly that was different, then! People do have some funny ideas.
Mandy was at my door again this morning, but this time it was for her scheduled meeting with me and the other tutees. I had to scavenge the area for mugs to drink from as I had forgotten to bring my little boxful with me. I have started to take it home as one of them has gone walkabout already! Can you believe that? It was a really cute Wallace and Gromit one, too. This is the third meeting where I get the group all together. I thought it would be a good idea for them to get to know someone outside their own discipline. They seemed to be quite friendly with each other, despite only meeting because of my machinations. I’ll be seeing them again, individually before term goes down for Christmas, to monitor how they are doing etc. This was just an informal gathering really. I had booked a room especially for it as my “office” is just too small.
One of them dropped a bombshell on me. She told me Runrig were playing Sheffield City Hall, next March [26th] and that the tickets went on sale last Saturday. I then did something really rude, I told them I had to make a quick phone call, and got through to Dad’s office in Lancaster. It sounds so cool when you ask the switch board to get another University and there is a roomful of people listening. They may have been surprised by the rest of my conversation though.
The students heard only my side of the conversation which went something like this:
Mr Jay, please.
Ms Smith. Sheffield University.
Hi Dad.
No, nothing’s wrong.
No, I…
That’s good… I transferred it on Monday.
Yes. I am OK. Just ask Hilmar if we can come down and stay in the New Year. Could you?
Look, Dad…
No. Of course not.
No. Don’t be silly! No.
Look, Dad…
DAD!!
Look, I am ringing because Runrig are playing Sheffield next March and tickets went on sale on…
Oh.
How come?
Ooh, Daad! OMG. Thank you, thank you, thank you. To the power of infinity.
No, it hasn’t spoilt it. It’s brilliant. Oh, Wow!
Yes, of course you can. I’ll get Callie to clean her kennel out!
For being such a sly dog.
No. I have a room full of students listening to every word.
No. It’s a mentoring session!
Well, it’ll show them people this side of the desk as just as human as everyone else.
Yes, I know. I’m going.
What.
No, I am really, really pleased. I am not disappointed to find out. It hasn’t spoilt the surprise at all. Honestly. Anyway, knowing you, you’d never have managed to keep it a secret. Would you?
Well, I don’t think so. You always blab.
Yes you do!
Of course I do.
Yes, of course.
She doesn’t know yet. We haven’t been over. I just phoned her from here yesterday morning, to let her know we were back safely.
Oh. OK, then.
Right.
Yes. About 6.30? We’re at a concert at 7.30.
Ensemble 360.
OK, we’ll be back about 10, either…
Love you, too. Bye.
No, you…
No, you…
They were chatting amongst themselves initially but gradually they all stopped and just listened in to our conversation. Well, my half of it. I think I have written my side pretty much as it occurred!

When they all gone Mandy stayed behind. I thought she was going to thank me again but she said, “Did you know, inside 10 seconds of making that call you went from being our tutor to being a little girl!”
I was a bit mortified. She said that she wasn’t being rude or anything, she just thought it was so sweet. She bet that the others thought the same. I was lost for words. That is so unlike me! LOL.

In case you hadn’t worked it out. Dad knew about the tour before we even left for Arran. He was delighted to let us zoom off up Goat Fell on Saturday morning as it meant he could buy tickets for the concert without us knowing. He was third in the queue at 9.30 when the box office opened and he has bought four front row circle tickets. Him and Louisa; Laura and me. I had spoiled his surprise. It was going to be a birthday surprise as it is only a few days after my birthday!

I love my Dad so much. I feel so sorry for those whose fathers aren’t as loving and supportive and silly as mine is. Laura is so jealous of me for having a Dad that is cool! I keep telling her that he isn’t cool at all, but she thinks he is. She totally understands why I wanted to marry him when I was a little girl! [A major embarrassing thing to have said, although I was only 5 or 6!]
Our evening concert: If you ever get the chance to see Ensemble 360, then do! They play in the round! It is amazing. I wondered why they had this name and now I know. We arranged to meet Mrs B and partner at a pub outside the Firth Hall as she had never been before. I was surprised because she has lived here for almost 20 years and not found out this venue. I jokingly said to her, “I suppose you’ve never been to the Montgomery Hall?” She hasn’t! Nor the Catholic Cathedral. Nor the Library Theatre. I decided I had better stop listing places as it may have become embarrassing.
The programme, as well as the Debussy – which was what I really wanted to hear – included some Britten! Arrggh! I normally go out of my way to avoid him, but these pieces weren’t too bad. I recently heard his Japanese influenced Curlew River “church opera” which was quite a surprise. That may have begun my revision of his oeuvre! There are usually about a dozen performers with Ensemble 360: one Bass, one Cello, a couple of Violins and a Viola, Flute, Clarinet, Bassoon, Oboe, French Horn, even a piano! Even more surprising is they are based in Sheffield! They have not been on my radar at all. Tonight’s pieces were all string quartets, though, so we had but four players; three women and a man. The women played one of the violins, the viola and the cello.
To say that I had found something which surprised Mrs B is an understatement. She was overwhelmed by the whole thing and was really grateful that I had added a new venue and ‘orchestra’ to her list of orchestras and venues to visit. The Britten Three Divertimenti were excellent, and based on the book / film of Eric Kastner’s “Emil and the Detectives”. I read it when I was little. One of Dad’s ‘just must read this’ books. That Britten had turned the idea into a trio of string pieces has actually made me think even more about him than I did before!
I told Feli about the concert at work in the morning and she didn’t see how playing in the round would work, of course for a string quartet it wasn’t a problem. I would love to see the full ensemble playing sometime. I am afraid I even told Christopher this afternoon before the performance and you could see he was more than miffed that he couldn’t go, he had a prior engagement! I knew this already; which was the only reason why I told him about it! Am I wicked or what?
Wednesday November 20th.

Swimming and dog walking as usual this morning. Although Laura swam in her bikini which was a real distraction and we had to avoid helping each other to get dry afterwards as we just knew we’d end up having sex in the cubicle again, and we have vowed not to do that. We did spend quite a while at home having sex though. We each wore fresh bikinis and then we didn’t!

I wore one of my “business woman” outfits to work today. I do love dressing up and confounding people’s expectations of me. Today I was in a pale grey pin striped suit – tailored jacket and pencil skirt- an azure blouse and azure court shoes and matching handbag. My legs were in black tights. [I'd tried to get the right shade of blue but failed miserably!]  The skirt was relatively short, about five inches over the knee. I must have looked like one of our solicitors as I entered the building. It was all somewhat spoiled down in ARR by wearing my lab coat over the top to stop me getting messed up by some of the archive paperwork. The digitising of our records is going fairly well, even though I am only devoting one day a week to it now, rather than the five half days a week I did last year.

You can bet on the day I have finished they will announce they are scrapping the computer system or something equally silly!

I got a visit from Christopher, who came to ask about Ensemble 360. How does he find time to come down to archives? I am sure the accounts department is rushed off its feet! I am finding it quite hard to remain polite and nice towards him. I know I should be, but he really is a pain of the first water! I suppose he is like a dog waiting for any scraps to be dropped from the dining table, well he’s going to have a bloody long wait at my table.

Met up with Loll at lunch and we went into town to order some tickets for shows at the Lyceum and Crucible for both before and after Christmas. We bought them for: The Arcadia String Quartet, Ensemble 360 [doing a different programme], “The Nutcracker” [ballet], “Blink”, “The Comedy of Errors” and “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” the last four in January.  We got Mum tickets for The Nutcracker, C. of E. and M. N. D. too. Well, she used to be a Head of English and loves watching the Bard [and ballet].

Funnily enough, this month’s BBC Music magazine has The Nutcracker as its main cover feature. I suppose that is only natural, given the theme of the ballet!

When I got back to XXX & Y I told Mrs Briggs about Ensemble 360 being at the Crucible and The Nutcracker, so she phoned them straight away to get tickets for both performances. I bit the bullet and strolled up into accounts to tell Christopher about the next E 360 performance. This was a mistake as I could hear some of the other guys in there making snide remarks about me coming up to pass on this information. One particularly obnoxious little tw@t was so full of himself I just had to give him a gob full back. I don’t think that he knew what had hit him. He certainly wasn’t expecting a string of invective directed at his obnoxious countenance, culminating in my maligning his major flaws: his complete lack of intelligence, the paucity of his ‘wit’ and the fact that obviously his dick was smaller than my pinky! I parted company from the baying hyenas with; “and even tumescent it wouldn’t be sufficient to double as a hat rack! Could one of you monkeys provide him with a dictionary so that he can work out whether or not he has been insulted.” I left to a stunned silence.

I knew I shouldn’t, but I couldn’t help it. He was being a complete @rsehole. It helps to have a range of withering phrases ready to fling at a second’s notice! I thought it wise to go and tell Mrs B what I had done in case there were repercussions. She simply hooted. This will now get Christopher on my case even more. Doh!

I recounted all this to Mum after work, we'd driven over to hers for our dinner. She loved the idea of him being too small to be a hat rack!

She laughed at my sarcasm then went on to describe me to Laura, “Do you know, she never does what you expect. She fell out of a tree on campus once, in Norwich. I saw it happen but was too far away to help. Do you know what she was doing when I got over to her? Remember, she was six. She had just fallen out of a massive tree, broken her arm and had a cut on her forehead dripping blood. Guess what she was doing?!

Laura couldn’t.

“She was kicking the tree and swearing at it! As if it was the tree’s fault she had fallen out of it! You could always tell she was going to be different. She had tears streaming down her face but they were rage tears, not pain tears. Then at the hospital her Dad and one of the doctors played a joke on her. They told her when they had x-rayed her head her brain was missing! She just howled and sobbed and was heart-broken!”

I had the good grace to giggle and look embarrassed.

Laura, who’s heard part of the tree story before, laughed along with Mum.

“What can we do with her?”

I could see from her expression exactly what Laura thought she could do with me!

Thursday 21st November.

Abso bloody lutely freezing this morning. The ice had turned the crazy paving into a psycho path! I almost measured my length against the ground even before we got from our little lane. It is a good job Bradfield Council grit the hill or there would be a piled of wrecked cars at the bottom where it meets the A6102.

Callie loves running in frosty grass, she loves snow even more. I guess it won’t be long now until we have some of the white stuff. The top end of the village usually gets a covering, down in the valley where the paper shop and restaurant are it hardly ever gets any!

The pool was less busy this morning, maybe that is a result of the weather. Our 100 lengths were soon done and we spent a few minutes slobbing out in the Jacuzzi. Laura wriggled her hand under my bottom and spent a large amount of the time with her fingers wiggling about inside me! There were two older biddies in there with us so I had a really hard time keeping my expression and voice calm. I don’t think they had any idea what was going on just across from them. I am afraid we did it in the cubicle again. [Well, there were so few people about!]

At work Mandy was outside my door again. I hope she isn’t going to become a limpet now I have shown some interest in her and her woes. She wanted to know if I thought she should tell her crush that she fancied them! I told her that it often wouldn’t result in anything happening at all. I fessed up about me and my Art teacher and she was appalled and enthralled in equal measure.

“Would you have… You Know? If he’d responded?”

I had to admit I would have tripped him up and been on the floor underneath him before he knew what had happened! She promised that she wouldn’t do anything foolish or that she’d regret [or illegal]. I couldn’t help but wonder who the poor hapless victim might be. I knew she was doing Biology but as I didn’t know any of the staff yet I couldn’t even begin to speculate. According to Feli you don’t get to know all that many staff members at all, really. I found this news sort of disheartening.

Equally disheartening; my current account balance seemed to have shrunk like a willy in a cold stream. [I have seen this happen with my own eyes – to Richard. Even a hot Fiance’s mouth took ages to make a difference to him!] I digress.

I suddenly seemed to be nearly £250 out in my balance. I had no idea what had happened. I was using the ATM on campus to get some readies and my jaw dropped. I must have looked totally stunned because Laura asked me what was wrong. I explained. She told me I was being the drongo now [strange to hear one of your own words used back at you]. I had bought all those tickets yesterday. That is nine sets of tickets for six shows; naturally my balance would be down. My Mum gave me a cheque last night for her share and Laura is going to do so when Dominic pays her this weekend, so it is all accounted for. I couldn’t believe the number that came up before the machine gave me my cash. It was a horrible feeling. All sorts of terrible possibilities flashed across my mind. A doomy feeling descended into the pit of my stomach. Laura was right. I was a drongo.

I cheered myself up by suggesting we had lunch off campus at the Thai place that had a “Lunchtime Specials” sign written across its window. So we did. Unbelievable value, £6.95 each for as much as we could eat from three courses. The range was pretty large and we sampled a massive number of different dishes. I waddled back to my office, I am sure. The special is repeated in the evening although then the price rises to £10.95. Even at that though you’d be getting far more than you could actually eat!
Feli hasn’t been there yet! How come? So we are going to go next week. Two days in a row would just spoil our taste for it.

News from Dad this evening. They are going to deliver the caravan to the site on the week before Christmas! That is excellent news. Of course I have now fully booked up all the weekends after New Year until February. So a visit may not be an option. As it is, we are going to have to drive down from Dad’s to one of the shows as it happens during the time we are house sitting for him! Looks like it won’t be until the dead of winter [February] before we’ll be able to go and stay.

Kaybers and Jan called round this evening. Laura was at the restaurant. They had brought Kaybers’ ultrasound scan. It was taken a bit later in the pregnancy than Jane’s so the image is more recognisably a baby. Their Norway trip has been revised. They are not going there to live. Just to show off the baby bump at first but then nearer her time they are heading out to Jan’s folks so the baby can be born there. This seems like an unnecessary complication to me, but if it’s what they want why not?

The brilliant news is they are not going to go and live in Norway after all. They are going to stay in Sheffield. [Kaybers explained when Jan went to the loo, that her Mum had played Merry Hell when they announced this scheme to her. That is the main reason why they had revised their plans. I mustn’t let on that I knew!] Kaybers is actually glowing! I know I am a bit cynical about the whole child birth thing to be honest, but Kaybers genuinely does look radiant. He cheeks are suffused with a pinkness she doesn’t normally have at all. I told her this and she said that loads of people had said the same thing but she couldn’t see it herself. How could she not? It is as plain as the nose on your face.


They stayed to show Laura the CD scan and then zoomed off pretty pronto afterwards. Laura could tell that their news had made me really happy. It has. I was going to miss her a lot when they went. Now I won’t. Is that selfish of me? Who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment