Wednesday 19 March 2014

Living frogs by Crummockwater restore birthday girl's happiness.

Friday 14th March.

We weren’t ships passing in the night, Dad & I, he drove down from Lancaster (where he works) and we drove up the east side of the country on the M1, A1 and A66. I love the A66 from Scotch Corner it is one of the nicest routes I have driven in the UK.

We got to Dad’s about 4pm and walked the dogs at once. It was a surprising mild day for Cumbria but not as warm as it had been in Sheffield when we left. Dad called at about 5 o’clock to let me know he had arrived safely but that my house had been burgled and all the contents sold for charity. He does this a lot. If he’d not put the sold for charity bit I might have been taken in.

Part of our swapsie’s deal was I was going (with Loll) to the pub grand refurbishment tonight and he was going to see the Halle tomorrow at the City Hall. He wanted to put his nose in at the pub so he has an alternative to the Bush but won’t be there, so I have to make myself known as his proxy. Why do I agree to such stuff?

Mum phoned to say Gran will be down to hers tomorrow and they are waiting to visit Sophie until Monday when Dad has returned to Cumbria. That way there won’t be world war three when my Gran meets Dad. Gran is getting a train down instead of driving herself. I am so pleased. She is a bit old to be driving all that way by herself, pottering around Hawick and the border towns is one thing but over 200 miles down busy motorways is another altogether.

Mum has persuaded her to stay for a week and a bit so we will have some time together at my place next weekend. I have invited her to stay at my house but whether she does is another matter entirely. 

Grannies have their own agenda.

According to Laura I snogged everyone in the pub last night. I am sure I didn’t. I did make myself known as John’s Daughter and the woman behind the bar seemed to know what I was talking about. 

Unluckily, Laura’s oldest sister and husband were at the pub too and they announced to all and sundry that it was my birthday (it is on Monday, but not Friday) this resulted in masses of drinks arriving at our table for me. Luckily, I was drinking those mini bottle of wine (with a screw cap) so my drinks arrived ready packed to take with me if I didn’t drink them at the pub.

The last thing I can remember clearly is getting into an argument with some idiot about immigration and how the Tories were distorting and misrepresenting the figures to make immigrants the scapegoats for the country’s ills rather than their stupid policies and the recklessness of the wanker bankers! I did get birthday kisses from a couple of people but I don’t believe I snogged the whole pub! [Now as an undergraduate, that would not only have been most probably true but I would almost certainly have slept with at least one of them too! I am so pleased that Laura doesn’t know about my grubby past…]

When I woke up this morning (it is now Saturday early o’clock) I had eleven unopened bottles on the kitchen table, so god knows how many I drank. I am quite fortunate as wine doesn’t give me too much of a hangover, whisky does but not wine. I am a seasoned sozzler when it comes to the grape.

Saturday 15th March.

We decided, after a brilliant breakfast of bacon and egg baps smothered in red sauce, to go to Crummockwater. The cloud was looking a bit gloomy but I thought I could detect breaks here and there. So at about 10.30 we parked up at Lanthwaite Wood car park and climbed up my fell. There were a few buzzards about but we didn’t spot any Red Squirrels. The clouds did begin to break a bit as we descended to the boat house on the east shore of the lake so we decided to walk round to the other shore and buy ourselves lunch at the Kirkstile Inn.

On the opposite shore from the boathouse we could see the newly installed ‘waterdoor’ quite clearly. It looks exactly like an up and over garage door from that distance. I wonder who could have had it put on and more importantly, why?

The best bit of the day was the pond which is situated right by the path at the side of the limnological tower (assuming it is a limnological tower and not just a water draw-off point for the lake). This is a small affair only a few yards across and in the spring it is brimming with frogspawn and later on tadpoles, I decided to have a peek in to its depths to see if I could spot a frog or two. I did! Between us Laura and I counted 16 of the creatures swimming about, hiding in the debris at the bottom of the pond and a few actually bonking! It was brilliant! Back in Sheffield I only get to see the remnants of frogs after they have been squashed by passing cars here we were able to squat down at the water’s edge and watch them in their natural environment. It was truly amazing. I wonder how many of the people who walk along this lake side path ever spend the time to look into the pond and see the life teeming there?

We strolled round to the pub where I had my usual beef and caramelised red onion baguette and chips with a glass of white wine (I know I shouldn’t with beef but what the heck). Laura had a ham salad baguette and chips and wine too. Callie sprawled out in front of the roaring fire and after lunch, I must admit, I felt like joining her on the carpet. As usual there was nothing chocolaty as a dessert on the menu (when will they learn) so we made our way back to the car park armed with a mars bar each instead.

The frog pond was equally as unnoticed as we walked by but even a casual glance, without bending over revealed five frogs almost immediately but then Mrs Clodhopper decided to step into the pond and cloudied up all the water. Sometimes my dog is a real pain!

We drove back to Dad’s avoiding the mess that is the Cockermouth Main Street utility replacement programme by turning off by Hundith Hall Hotel and heading for Eaglesfield School instead. We felt a little overcome by the effort, the food and the alcohol when we got back to Dad’s, plus the three woffies who’d been cooped up in their kennel were a bit overpowering in their welcome on our return, so we had a longish snooze in the lounge. One sofa each. (That’s me and Laura, not the dogs.)

Laura woke me up at about 6.30 with a glass of pink wine and a promise of a homemade burger for tea to follow. The little star, eh? We spent the rest of the night steadily drinking our way through the 10 remaining mini bottle of wine from the pub. We also watched the final two episodes of Salamander which I thought ended surprising well, although that may have been the alcohol clouding my judgement. 

I wobbled my way up Tallentire Hill with Dad’s three dogs and Callie while Laura went to get the bed warm for my return. I confess I only sat on the bench at the corner where the road bends down to Gilcrux for a moment but my phone revealed I must have been asleep on there for at least thirty-five minutes! I had got a bit chilly out in the open like that but the dogs had either spread themselves at my feet: Callie and Dad’s silly spaniel; or were snuffling about in the hedgerow without a care in the world. I wobbled back down to our old holiday home and found Miss Thomas pushing the zeds with a soft snore that seemed to indicate she’d been out for a while. I snuggled up next to her and she muttered, “I love you, you know…” and was off again.

Sunday 16th March.

One day to my birthday. I will be 27. It is frightening how quickly it seems since I was seventeen although to be honest I don’t feel any different now to what I did then, except I know a hell of a lot more things! When I was seventeen Dad and Mum hadn’t officially split up although he had moved to his job in Sheffield leaving Mum and me in Norwich. This was the beginning of the end really, I can see that in retrospect. Mum got her job in Sheffield at the end of my first term in the upper sixth and moved to Sheffield too. I spent the next part of my life commuting during school holidays to Sheffield from Norwich and spending term time with Kaybers (Charlotte) and her Mum. My 18th birthday was spent getting pissed with Kaybers in the town centre and trying to get a couple of guys to drive us to Cromer in their car. They didn’t.

What ever happened to that girl?

Back to reality. Dad phoned to say the Halle were excellent and the Scottish Symphony the best performance of it he’d seen. Drat and double drat! They were not setting off back until after tea time so we would probably be ships passing in the night again. He would leave my card and pressie on the kitchen table for me. I wondered what he could have bought. He did hint it was useful but I would get great pleasure out of using it. Mmmm….

Laura isn’t quite as used to the fermented grape as YT so she was a bit on the delicate side this morning. A couple of the same style eggy bacon baps from yesterday seemed to revive her a bit and lunch at her Mum & Dad’s brought her up to speed, if she wasn’t before.

Molly gave me a birthday card from her and Eric and even Steven had a card for me which was a surprise. Still, he is quite a nice lad despite being fourteen now! There is time for him to change and become like his father though! I asked if they’d be offended if I didn’t open them now as it is our family tradition to open cards etc on the day of the birthday. They were quite happy for me to do that.

We pottered back to Dad’s mid arvo. I had a swift clean round everywhere we had been, and places we hadn’t, and we left Dad’s at about 3.45pm.

We may have been ships passing in the night as I drove back the M6 way this afternoon but, even if we were, I didn’t see Dad’s Citroen on the other side of the motorway. Back at chez nous there was a pile of cards on the kitchen table and an envelope marked “Present. Not to be opened until Monday”. This was dad’s offering. I was very intrigued as to what it could be that would be so useful and give me great pleasure in an envelope. Being the good girl that I am I resisted temptation and left it with the card pile to be opened on Monday morning.


An early night was required by all, so at just past 10pm Callie and I went for the last walk of my Unbirthday. Laura wasn’t asleep when we got back so we made like some of those naughty frogs in the pond for a while. Ohh la la!

No comments:

Post a Comment