Monday 12 May 2014

2nd concert in 2 days! Real Music this time. LOL

Friday  9th May.

I think my engagements calendar needs sorting out; two concerts in two days do seem rather like bad planning to me. I have form for doing this sort of thing, though, and it isn’t really my fault if there are things I would like to attend in close proximity. I blame the people who organise these events for not being familiar with my tastes and thus messing up!

OK, the Yes concert was probably something, in the usual scheme of things, I would have ignored if it wasn’t for Dad wanting to see them and offering to buy us tickets too. Now the Moscow Philharmonic is much more on my radar and was, in fact, the penultimate concert of the 2013/14 International Concert season at the City Hall. We have been to all but one of these performances (incidentally, so has my immediate ‘boss’ from work, Mrs Briggs) and will probably do the same again for the next season.

I know that my Dad (maybe Mum too) thought my taking to listening to Classical Music was a mere affectation from my childhood. Once they realised I was serious and was actually saving my pocket money to buy Classical Music CDs they sort of looked upon it as my preferred choice in music. They probably attributed it to my precocity. (I could read when I was three, for example.) It did set me apart from my peers and made me different and apart from them, which (to be honest) I have actively cultivated all my life. I have always refused to be part of the herd.

Tonight’s performance was a programme of Russian greats as you might expect, given whom the performers were, we had Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich and Rimsky-Korsakov. Played with great gusto and obvious feeling. We were treated to Tchaikovsky’s The Sleeping Beauty; Shostakovich’s  Cello Concerto No.1 and Rimsky-Korsakov’s Sheherazade. I knew the Tchaikovsky and the Rimsky-Korsakov but I had not heard the Cello Concerto before. It was very good indeed. I do like the Cello though, my favourite piece being Max Bruch’s “Kol Nidrei” (I may have spelt that wrong!)

The Tchaikovsky was so beautiful, lyrical and poignant yet exuberant at the end and the Rimsky-Korsakov is just a masterpiece. I know this one very well having played it to death as a child, along with Moussorgsky’s “Night on a Bald Mountain”. I guess I love loud, brash, joyous pieces. That’s probably why I love Beethoven so much. He does loud, brash and exuberantly joyous extremely well.

We did meet up with Mrs Briggs in the bar during the interval and she was impressed by what she had heard. I wasn’t sure whether, owing to the current Ukraine crisis, we ought to have boycotted the event. We talked about this and decided the actions of their president didn’t have any bearing on the concert and to have not gone would have been spiting ourselves rather than making any difference to the situation.

What was surprising was her reaction to my outfit for the evening; I was wearing what I had worn to the Yes concert on Wednesday (slight change obviously for the top and my underwear). I had a pair of dungaree shorts on, a yellow crop top and Dad’s leather biker jacket. I had wedge espadrilles on my feet rather than the sex on legs, stiletto ankle boots from Wednesday. Mrs B thought it was a good job that Christopher hadn’t been there or he’d have been drooling at me. I wasn’t sure whether she was joking or not; or even if it was a compliment or not. Certainly I attracted a lot of glances on Wednesday whilst wearing the dungarees, in fact one drongo came over when we were chatting with Poppy and asked if he could buy me a drink!

I am not averse to displaying my legs and midriff while I still have a midriff that stands scrutiny and I know my legs are probably my most attractive feature. Laura was also in legs on view mode in a bright red mini dress and my denim bolero jacket, so I guess there was a feast of female limbs on display for all to ogle. There are times, like this, when I wish I hadn’t taken out my belly button piercing – as it would have looked so cool. However, I was such a dork at times with it that I kept catching it on my clothes and it just drove me to distraction in the end, so I removed it and have allowed the hole to close.

After the show we headed back home and had to make a detour up through Worral as there had been an accident on Middlewood Road and the blue lights had closed the road. I always worry when I see there have been accidents on roads we use frequently that one day it may be us! Silly, I know, but I can’t help it.

They must have closed the road right up to St Christopher’s Motors in the village as loads of cars were coming round the one way system and heading up the hill towards Bradfield and the Convent as part of the diversion I suppose.

The vehicles were still using that route as I walked Callie, about an hour later, for her last walk of the day.  


Saturday May 10th.

Strange weather this morning, very cloudy at times, with breaks that allowed bright sunshine to show through and then torrential downpours!

I avoided any rain when I walked Callie first thing and was lucky to have got back home before the heavens opened; yet by the time we were going to the pool (just a few minutes later) the sun was out!
Sarah was once again envious of our concert going during the week. She was surprised we had gone to a rock concert and she had heard of Yes. I explained we had just freeloaded the tickets from Dad. She wanted to know all about Poppy Hughes. In fact so did the family in Australia when I Skyped them after breakfast too! We described what we had seen and what she had said. She was quite tiny (just like Mum was my initial comment to Laura after we had left her) but not slim. Her hair was still long and probably dyed. I can’t imagine at 60 she would really have dark chestnut locks, I bet there is a badger lurking underneath her mane.

After Uni she had gone to America where she met her first husband. When that fell through she brought her photography business back to the UK and married again. The second marriage also went belly up but the photography business did well. She now just snapped for her own satisfaction, rather than being a commercial photographer anymore. She had four children two were in America – they had gone back to be with their Dad’s side of the family and two were in the UK. Three boys and a girl. The girl was a teacher in the Midlands somewhere and the boy worked for the Civil Service, which she found a huge disappointment – he had become part of the establishment she had always railed against as a student and young adult.

It is always fascinating to hear about other people’s exes, isn’t it? When I met her I couldn’t help wondering if Dad does have a thing for small women. Mum is only 5’ and Louisa can’t be much taller. I will bet his dalliances with his former students were all with the petite ones too! Here you see the problem with having an inquiring mind; it takes a few known facts, extrapolates from those facts a theory and then assumes that theory is correct without any recourse to proof of any kind.

After the swim and brekkers, I made the aforementioned call to Australia. Suze and I talked for ages before the kids got a look in. (Poppy again.) Annabelle wasn’t bothered about Grandpa’s old girlfriends she was keen to get her Aunt and girlfriend out to visit this summer. She has already told her Mum that she wants to come with us when we borrow the camper again. Jill isn’t so sure. I hope she does want to come too.

They were full of the Dockers progress this season, they are pleased they are ahead of the West Coast Eagles but rather worried by tomorrow’s game against Port Adelaide who are currently top of the ladder. They were also looking forward to going to Subi next weekend to see Matthew Pavlich’s 300th game for the Dockers! They will be playing Geelong who are about third in the ladder, so it may be a tight fixture. If Pav has played in every match in a season that means he has played for over fifteen years as a Docker. The club only began in 1994 so that must make him one of the longest standing players they have.

We had a lazy day for the rest of Saturday, although Laura was at Dominic’s again in the evening. I thought it might not be a good idea to go out into the Peak with the weather being so unpredictable.

We did spend a happy afternoon in bed though.


Sunday 11th May.

We decided to go to rock today as it hadn’t rained in the night. Well, it turned out it hadn’t rained in our little village but over by Stanage there must’ve been quite a bit as the rock was quite wet and the weather still looked unpredictable, coming sweeping down from the Dark Peak area.

I tried a few easy pitches to see how slippery they were and I thought they may be do-able but Laura was a bit scared. She hasn’t been climbing all that long and so I decided we’d go and be tourists in the Peak and if it fined up we’d try again.

We went to Bakewell and bought some more puddings (dodging the rain spots). We went to Calton Lees Garden Centre at Chatsworth (more dodging). Had a bite to eat at Caudwell’s Mill south of Bakewell and then hit Calver Craft shop in the early afternoon. Still no luck with the weather, so after Calver (because it was so close) we drove to Mum’s.


We had afternoon tea with Mum and had a good old gossip. Laura mentioned Poppy and Mum laughed like a drain. She wondered if she was still as neurotic as she had been when Dad knew her. She told us that she used to do Dad’s head in having massive attacks of PMT every month. She would get really irascible and unpleasant, taking it out on everyone around her, including Dad. She remembers Dad telling her it was like living in the same cage as a sleeping Tasmanian tiger! Not that they lived together or anything, they were both students at the time, living on campus.

Mum was pleased we’d enjoyed the concerts and was glad she hadn’t been invited to see Yes. She thinks they are a set of pretentious losers who are still churning out unintelligible songs for people who delude themselves into thinking it is profound. (Well thanks Mum!)

I think she must have seen my face, as she tried to retract her remarks, claiming I wasn’t a pretentious loser. She asked if I would have gone if Dad hadn’t been going and when I said, “No!” She replied with, “Well, there you are then!”

Laura recounted how I had been bought a drink by a guy in the bar; which made Mum laugh again and say, “I bet she was showing a lot of leg, wasn’t she?”

Oh Mum, you sting your little girl at times. LOL

We headed for the hills at about 6.30 driving through more showery rain. Boo hoo. Back home, as Laura wasn’t going to Dom’s tonight she asked me if I could show her lots of leg. I told her I would if she would.

So we did. For quite a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment