Saturday 10 May 2014

Rock Concert with the Aged Parent - Oh Yes!

Monday May 5th.

Back to our normal routine again today after our weekend jaunt to the Metropolis. Dog walking is always a bonus at this early hour in the morning because it is so quiet, as the city is still fast asleep. It got me into a reverie about London and how I couldn’t ever face living there. It is too grubby and squalid feeling. The people are boorish and always in a rush (or else they are tourists), not like the gold old north, eh. 

Swimming at our usual time saw us rack up 100 lengths and feel smug and self-satisfied afterwards. The showers still don’t get rid of the chlorine smell though. I must be killing my hair with all the washing I give it. I will have to talk to my hairdresser in Cockermouth, when we are next at Dad’s and ask if there is something I can do to protect it.

Laura has written herself a revision timetable for the exams, her first is on May 28th I think. She is sitting the Fluid Mechanics exams too which she is looking forward to! I think she is a glutton for punishment but I can’t talk as my degree had thousands of papers to sit (or so it seemed at the time).
Felice was her usual bubbly and bouncy and slightly incomprehensible self again. I told her about Jane’s operation after she had Sophie and she seemed upset by it. I asked her why she had taken it to heart and she told me that when Jane left Phil she wouldn’t be able to have children with her new partner. Erm… Excuse Me?

I asked her where she had got the idea that Jane was going to leave Phil and she said it was obvious; no woman in her right mind would want to stay with such an obnoxious little prick! I had a good laugh about that. I explained that you have to shut out Phil’s obnoxious ‘pricky’ behaviour because underneath it all he was basically sound. Jane had got quite adept at just blanking out the more extreme examples of Phil’s twattishness and carrying on regardless. Feli said she could not live her life like that and if her man ever carried on in the way Phil does then she would dump him at once! (You really need to say it in a French accent to get the full effect!)

The rest of the day was spent with the bloody palimpsests. They really are getting on my pip. Why did people do this in those days? Had they ‘got it in’ for posterity? I know it is all to do with cost, but bloody hell, it makes your eyes and brain hurt trying to read what is written on them. Even the multi-spectral analysed copies are pretty hard going.

Lunch in the refec was not as noisy as usual and I could see hordes of undergrads with their noses in books obviously using every minute of their day time to revise so they could whoop it up at night. (Am I being cynical?) Laura is pacing herself quite sensibly and not given to last minute panic or revising every waking hour (as some of these seemed to be doing) which is a much more sensible approach. She has even told Dominic she will not stop working at the restaurant during the exam weeks as she thinks emptying her mind will be more beneficial.

Tuesday May 6th.

Off and out as normal for work this morning, after dog walking, swimming and breakfasts of course expecting a perfectly ordinary day. That is in fact what we had, three hours at Uni and four and a half at XXX & Y is typical for a Tuesday. What is not typical is for an Aged Parent and New Spouse to be sat in your garden waiting for you to come home after work! To say I was surprised is an understatement. 

He was supposed to be coming tomorrow! Parents, eh? You just can’t do a thing with them!

He began by saying I ought to give him a key to my house, like I had to his then he could have let himself in and been more comfortable than squatting among my lavender in the garden. I asked him to give me his key ring. He duly obliged and I held up the offending back door and conservatory key for him as exhibit one! (It is the same key for both doors.) I then told him I was going to phone the doctor as early onset Alzheimer’s was obviously setting in. He did have the good grace to look considerably abashed. What a drongo. I told him I had swapped the old two keys for the one new key when I had the locks changed in 2013. Sometimes he is so much away with the fairies about his work or his writing or just life in general that I don’t think he listens to what I tell him. I told him that. He wasn’t listening!
Louisa, was though, she nudged him in the ribs and said, “See. It’s not just me saying it. Even Vic thinks you don’t listen.”

He changed the subject and asked about our evening meal. I explained we had a sweet and sour chicken concoction cooking in the oven (hopefully, if the timer worked) and if there was enough they could share that. I usually make enough for two meals anyway and we freeze the second lot to have as a quick standby. I cooked four portions of rice instead of two and made two of them vegetable rice which is much more filling. While I was doing this Laura defrosted some raspberries and made some meringue, raspberry and cream delights. (Our defrost method for this is to place the raspberries into cold water and keep replenishing the water. It doesn’t full defrost them but that doesn’t matter with this recipe. In fact unless they are fresh it is nice to have partly frozen berries like little fruity lollipops in your dessert.)

Dad had decided to come down early so they could whizz to Leeds, tomorrow, and see the Grand-daughter again. Is he getting broody? Maybe he really does like babies. He has had three of his own after all and he and Louisa have been trying (without success) for one of their own too. At 43 I think Louisa’s biological clock is against her though.

They were interested to hear about the Veronese exhibition and bemoaned the fact that Cumbria (or even Lancaster) is too far away from London to make swift day trips possible. I don’t think he was being disingenuous but he never went on day trips to London when he worked in Norwich, or Sheffield either, so why it should be a problem now is beyond me? I kept these thought to myself.

He was more miffed to learn that Feli had got the tickets on a special deal and we paid a fraction of the normal day return price for our travel. I told him he could always go to Glasgow but he seemed unimpressed by the idea.

Loll went off to work as usual and I was left with the task of entertaining the rellies. Not as onerous as it sounds as they were both keyed up for tomorrow’s concert at the City Hall. Dad has seen Yes more times than I care to think about but Louisa hasn’t seen them before. Dad recalls sneaking into London as a schoolboy to see them in 1970, when they had just released their third album. That was one of the three they’d be playing tomorrow. They are going to play three albums in their entirety, in the album track order which has to be quite a novel idea, maybe unique. The Albums are The Yes Album, Close to the Edge and Going for the One. Dad tried to bet that the encore will be Roundabout. I have refused to take his bet as it is an odds-on certainty that Roundabout will be the encore!

I went to the car and brought in my CD case with those three albums in and we played the three of them through just to remind ourselves what we’d be hearing. Laura came back half-way through their latest album Fly From Here, which Dad had brought down for me to copy. The contrast is quite marked between them. Close to the Edge still sounds like it was written by someone who understands classical music but can’t write sensible lyrics. Awaken has some unbelievably brilliant church organ playing but yet again has pretty dodgy lyrics. I commented on this to Dad and he was forced to concede that I was correct. He offered to lend me a Jon Anderson solo LP called “Olias of…” somewhere or other (I can’t remember what he said, now) and I could hear just what terrible a lyricist he was.

Dad came with me on the last walk with Callie and he talked about Louisa and how seeing the baby Sophie had made her even more determined to want a baby of their own. They are going to try a course of IVF treatment next month! I am seriously not sure what I think about this. Part of me thinks it is lovely that they want a child together and part of me thinks, NO. I mean if they succeed, when the child is 20 Dad will be 82! And Louisa 63! There is also a selfish part of me thinking, I could become its second mother and when Louisa and Dad pop their clogs it would look on me as its Mum instead. It would certainly solve my dilemma about whether to be a mother or not myself. I said I really truly hoped they would be successful, it would be lovely. I think the old-boy was genuinely surprised by that. He gave me a big hug and kissed me on the forehead like he always does. He put my hand through his arm and we walked back home arm in arm, I think we were two contented souls who brought the dog in last night.

Wednesday 7th May

Yes Night.

They appeared on stage looking like a set of pensioners after the strains of Stravinsky faded away. (They always play part of the Firebird before they step out on the stage.) The new singer is the only one who doesn’t look like he needs a bus pass. He is called Jon Davidson and according to Dad he used to sing with Glass Hammer. I have one of their CDs (again copied by Dad) there is at least one excellent song on it.

It is not surprising that I like Yes as I am a fan of classical music and a lot of their work seems structured in a similar way. At times, though, their lyrics are absolute drivel! I know I have said this once already but it really does need emphasising. Another feature is their obvious musicianship which you don’t see in many bands.

The began with Close to the Edge which was pretty well done, followed by And You And I and Siberian Khatru. I think they may have messed up the words in And You And I but Dad assured me they hadn’t. He played the version I have at home afterwards and explained that Jon Anderson cocked them up on the live version he had recorded for me. What I had heard was what Anderson should have sung! 

They moved on to the Going for the One album next. The church organ was a bit ropey on Awaken, to be honest. You’d have thought they’d have used the real one in the City Hall but they used a synthesizer instead and it just didn’t cut it. Ball dropped there, fellas!

They had an interval after this album and we trooped out for a break from the reflected glare from all the bald heads below us in the stalls! Dad met an old flame in the crowd at the bar. She had been a fellow student in Oxford and was now a photographer. She was there snapping the band and even had a laminate giving her access everywhere. Dad was jealous as hell of that laminate; he spent ages trying to negotiate its sale. She refused.

I was amazed they recognised each other after all those years. I was introduced as his gorgeous daughter (I am sure I blushed) with her genius friend, Laura. He also, obviously, introduced Louisa as his wife. She was surprised that it wasn’t still Helena (she didn’t have much tact it seemed). She was also stunned to hear he had gone on to become a Lecturer, apparently he was planning on a becoming a writer of fiction. He defended himself by mentioning the papers he’s had published and the co-authored work on Comparative Literature.

I told her the writing gene had probably skipped a generation as I was putting the finishing touches to my third novel to try and get it ready for possible publication. This lead to a third degree from both her and Dad, about what I had written. I should have kept my gob shut. (As usual!)

The second half was all of The Yes Album. It had my favourite song of theirs, I’ve Seen All Good People. Very clever lyrics and some really neat vocal harmonies. Chris Squire’s bass playing during Starship Trooper was amazing, too.

I think the major downer of the whole evening was the mixing. There were times when you couldn’t hear the keyboards much at all. This is a problem for a band like Yes where they make up a large part of the melodies. Dad didn’t seem to notice though, and I guess he is the real aficionado here, not me!

They reappeared for the encore which did turn out to be Roundabout. Quite a good version I thought, with the opening guitar harmonics not messed up as much as I have heard on some of Dad’s live recordings!

I toyed with buying a tour T-shirt as I think the Yes logo is so cool but in the end I decided I would probably never wear it, so I didn’t. Dad bought two, one of the logo and Dragon Flight Tour Dates and one of the logo only.

We got back to chez moi at about 11.30 and Dad found the offending version of And You And I, he is right Jon Anderson did mess up the lyrics, big time! He has promised to give me a copy of Close to the Edge so I can hear what it should actually sound like. We strolled the dog together again and I asked him about Poppy Hughes; he told me she was the girlfriend immediately prior to Mum. That was all I managed to get out of him about her. I did keep pestering but he clammed up and refused to say anymore. I am going to google her when I get the chance, see what comes up.

Laura was wide awake and waiting for me when I got back and she wanted to get amorous. Who was I to deny my little genius?

Thursday 8th May.

My ears still felt woolly this morning. Dad and Louisa mumbled that they didn’t want to join us at the pool this morning, not that I was surprised. I wasn’t surprised that they weren’t up when we got back in either. They finally surfaced at about 8.30 just as we were about to zoom off to Uni. They said they would be leaving around mid-morning if that was OK with us. Of course it was.

After the busy day yesterday today at work was a welcome relief to be back to normal again. In fact I would go on to say it was just a typical Radio Stars’ Song again. Laura went off to Dominic’s again after our meal. I walked the dog down to meet her at the end of the night and we struggled up the hill on foot together.

There will be more excitement tomorrow as we are off to the City Hall again, this time for a feast of Russian Classical Music from the Moscow Philharmonic: Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich and Rimsky-Korsakov. Promises to be very different from Yes but in a weird way rather similar.

  



No comments:

Post a Comment