Monday 18 August 2014

Esperance by bike. The lake isn't very pink at all!

Friday 15th August.

I woke up this morning from a shocking dream where I was involved with three guys. The guys were Alan, Christopher and Michael. [Alan the vet who I dated, Christopher from work who wants to date me and Michael – Dad’s colleague - who I seriously snogged when drunk at Dad’s wedding reception.] I will not go into details but it involved bodily fluids being ingested. I awoke as wet as anything and turned on beyond belief. I haven’t had a dream like this in years, not since the days when I was an undergraduate little miss cum bucket. I pulled Laura’s hand down between my legs and she needed no further encouragement. When she had performed her magic I reciprocated and we ended up in a sexed-out, tired and loving huddle.

A peek through the blinds revealed the fact that we had British weather outside, overcast, cold, rainy. Just like home. The islands tour had to take a back seat today; we hoped for better weather tomorrow. We lay snuggled up for a while just stroking each other gently. We decided that getting a couple of bikes for the next two days would be a good idea so we went to the site shop and asked about bike hire. We were directed to Laquo bike hire. So we drove down in the camper and hired a pair of bikes for two days. We fitted them into the camper and headed back to the site.

We spent the day dodging the rain spots and everywhere we went told us there hadn’t been any rain for ages until today! We cycled down to the Municipal Museum and looked at the exhibits in more detail than I did with the girls last year. Teenage girls and museums aren’t the most likely companions, so we had a whistle stop look. This time we had a good look round, had a bite to eat, and talk to the curator about the Skylab exhibit. I surprised the curator by telling them that the majority of the debris came down on Balladonia. I knew this because my Dad had a T-Shirt from 1979 which had a map of the area on it and the wording “Western Australia, the State of Excitement”. It was a horrible brown colour. Dad still has it somewhere, being rather OCD about his clothing. The curator showed me an exact copy of Dad’s T-shirt from the archive, it is obviously one of the same batch. He sounded very excited about his old shirt.

Owing to the fact the night is still falling pretty early out here (about 5.45pm) we spent the rest of the afternoon cycling round Esperance and out to Pink Lake. It wasn’t all that Pink to be honest but usually that only occurs in summer when the temperature is higher and the algae absorbs their (its?) beta carotene. It is only a few clicks out of the town and quite a pleasant bike ride. We can get really close to the lake along one side and there is a view point at one end too. It is really salty and used to be a source of local salt production. I think it may still be so. We went to Lake Warden and then round to the Leda Nature reserve. It is full of small lakes and tracks and is quite pretty.

We whizzed back into town and headed to the jetty. It is a bit like Busselton’s jetty sans train. It’s great for cycling down and there were masses of old men fishing from it. We stopped at the end for ages and watched out for sea life appearing. One of the guys said you could sometimes see the occasional seal around the structure. Unfortunately we didn’t see any but we had a great view of the Recherche Archipelago. We contacted the Woody Island tour company and booked ourselves on a full day tour for Monday. (The girls and I did the half day tour last year.) We have to hope that there will be twelve people booked onto the tour otherwise it doesn’t go ahead. Fingers and toes crossed then. This will take us through the islands for the first part of the tour, when we get onto the island and are given a snack. This is followed by a bush walk with a guide and eventually a barbeque meal before heading back to Esperance at about 3.30pm.

At the site we had our evening meal, which in traditional Aussie fashion included large slabs of meat being grilled and served with a huge salad and oven chips. We went and sat in the site’s communal verandah things after the meal and were joined by a handful of other people who were touring around the state (and one couple who were doing the whole circuit). We shared stories and potted histories and several bottles of wine. I had stocked up on Happs Fuchsia from the bottle shop in town but once everyone discovered how delicious it was they drank me out! Four bottles gone! Boo Hoo. As most of them were staying for a few days too we agreed to rendezvous tomorrow and do it again and this time I was promised they would bring their own Happs to the feast.

Saturday 16th August.

The site has free wifi, which is pretty useful so I called Warnbro this morning to see how everyone was. The girls we glad to hear from me and jealous as hell that they weren’t with us. I promised them a trip up through the Pinnacles to Geraldton before we left, if Suze OK’d it. She did. Jeff was out somewhere for footy practice prior to a game tomorrow. Suze had heard from Mum and Gran seemed to be none the worse for her little spill. Mum had teased her that next time she goes on the whisky she has to cut out the gardening or vice versa. Gran didn’t think this was funny. I suppose she wouldn’t, I told Suze it was another example of where we got our sense of humour from. Mum was just as bad as Dad. She said she had forgotten how funny Mum & Dad could be, most of what she remembered was their nasty bickering that led up to them splitting up and then getting divorced. I was far too young to notice the bickering. All I knew was that Dad had gone to a job in Sheffield and we ended up stuck in Norwich without him.

Today we had an attempt at cycling a large circuit which takes you due west out of the town and ends up on Twilight Beach Road; out past Pink Lake again (still not pink) and more climbing than I remembered. I had driven out here in the camper van the last time so I wasn’t paying much attention to the topography of the route. Twilight Beach Road is beautiful and is even more so for taking our time along it on our bikes rather than whizzing across in a motor. We took several detours off the road to various headlands and also had our lunch at one spot where there was not another soul in sight. This is often nothing new I have found, out here. There are loads of pull off points and car parks (even a toilet and shower block in one of them). The feel is like being on Rottnest but with real vehicles included too. There is more coastal scrub than on Rotto too.
Back in the town we had lunch at a deli and then headed out eastwards past the campsite to get to Brandy Creek. It looked quite interesting and of course we could cycle most of the way there right along the coast. It is a little harbour development just south of the racecourse. There is still a lot of bush around it but it does look like a prime site to be developed. There are plots on the way there already cleared with their services installed, ready to be built on once the new owner has decided upon a house design they like. If I thought Norwich was a city out on a limb then Esperance is like Norwich in spades. It is so far on a limb that I do bet the only culture they have this far out (apart from the brilliant museums) really is yogurt. It also got us wondering what the hell a town this far away from anywhere else can do to support its growing population. They can’t all be old retired codgers, surely?

Back at the site we had more cooked meat for our evening meal and then rendez-voused with the fellow travellers again for more snacking, guzzling and craic. Two couples had bought Happs Fuchsia with them, I am afraid I trumped that with some really nice Verdelho which was from Margaret River itself. We only brought two bottles but once again Maia’s choice proved a wow. One of the couples was amused by the fact we had hired bikes to explore the town and its locality in greater detail than you can on foot or in a vehicle. I explained how I used my sister’s bike in Warnbro to get about when I came to stay and that if you’ve been to Rotto you realise that a bike is a brilliant way to get around and see so much that you might otherwise miss.

One of the women asked if we got hit on a lot, being two skinny blonde women out travelling. I dismissed the idea but Laura did mention the incident at Northam where we had freeloaded off three guys who thought their luck was in if they bought us drinks. She said she was embarrassed by my brazenness in accepting the drinks and leading the guys on. I said that as a feminist it was my honour bound duty to disappoint as many men as possible if they thought the easiest way to a quick shag was to ply any new woman in the area with drinks. I had thought this might lead us down into areas I didn’t want to go but virtually all of the other women agreed that this subtle way of scoring points for our gender was totally justified, given the almost totally sexist agenda followed by most males in the country. This sounded like stirring a hornet’s nest to me, but most of the men around the tables agreed with their partners. I had to tell them that they were a refreshing change to the guys I had met when I lived here and they were probably an endangered species!

We moved on to excursions and activities and I think we surprised them by saying we were going to the cinema tomorrow to see “Lucy” the new Scarlett Johansson film about enhanced intelligence. I think the film’s title may be a reference to either the Chimpanzee of the famous experiments, in the last century about intelligence, or even the ‘first woman’ of the Human species found in central Africa. A couple of them had booked for the Woody Island tour on Monday for which I gave a hearty cheer, explaining that they cancelled if they had fewer than 12 people booked on it. One or two of the others baulked at the expense of the day, but I thought it was reasonable if you considered it included two “meals” in the deal, plus a guide for the island section.

Once again, Laura’s chosen area of study was a revelation to the assembled crew. It is as if they look at her and can’t believe that this gorgeous, slim, Aphrodite of a girl could be a wizard at maths. I sang her praises about how she works out the unit price of things we buy in the supermarket in her head, to see if the bigger sized package is actually better value. She blushed so prettily I wanted to kiss her there and then. She got her own back by telling everyone I was busy working on translating a series on Mediaeval documents from Latin and Old French as part of my PhD. I am sure I blushed as deeply as she did; especially as they all agreed that they had judged the book of us two by the cover, not realising how so unlike their assessment of us we had been! [I am not sure of this was an insult or a compliment.] I explained that I was merely following a precedent set by my mother and father as they were an Assistant Head Teacher and a Senior Lecturer respectively. (I do brag about my folks a lot, because I am so proud of them and what they do – or did, as Mum retired last year.)

This led on to how we knew each other, inevitable I guess. Laura told them the history of the Thomases and Jays in our little Cumbrian village which seemed enough to satisfy their curiosity. If any of them discerned our deeper relationship it wasn’t alluded to. I asked Laura, as we were lying in a post coital glow later, why she hadn’t told them our secret and she replied that she didn’t want to tempt fate. Beautiful, sexy as hell and sensible as well; what more could a girl want in a partner?

Sunday 17th August.

With a wind coming down from the desert, today was a shorts day for both of us. I had my sensible shorts on but Laura wore a pair which were totally unsuited to anything except rousing my libido at the sight of her soft buttocks protruding from them. I asked if she realised that she was in imminent danger if she continued with the idea of wearing such provocative clothing. She asked, “What danger?” and I replied by fondling the said buttock area and discovering that the fondling had given rise to an excess of feminine lubrication in an adjacent area. This, naturally, necessitated the removal of the offending item of clothing and inserting my digits below her flimsy underwear. We set off out about 45 minutes later, with much faster heart rates and deeply flushed countenances!

The bikes had to be back by 1pm so we spent the rest of the morning having another good cycle round the town, our concentration was on the sea front areas, which are much better explored on a bike than on foot. In the hot weather (well hot for us at 23 degrees) masses of locals had come out to avail themselves of a sunny Sunday, too. I didn’t begrudge them their pleasure. There were a lot more cyclists about than I had anticipated, the majority were like us two, just pottering about, but there was a group of Keen-Types in lycra and pro-jerseys looking like they were enjoying sweating rivers and knackering themselves out in the heat. Apart from, as a young girl, watching Linford Christie’s package moving when he was running in lycra, men in lycra generally have done nothing for me at all. I guess it was the size of Linford’s package which attracted this young girl’s attention without knowing exactly why at the time. It was only when I got older I discovered the size of the bulge in their trousers sometimes meant the size of the pleasure it could give you was increased.

We returned the bikes and sauntered back to the campsite to freshen up and have a meal prior to hitting the cinema to see ‘Lucy’. It was good but I thought it ended up being two films instead of one. Or even three. It starts off going in one direction and then wanders away into a different route. I am impressed by Scarlett Johansson’s recent films, “Under the Skin” especially. This was sort of science fiction too but totally different. I wonder if this liking for SJ films is an indicator of my recent change of proclivities – I remember her in Ghost World and Girl with a Pearl Earring as well as many of the others she has done – perhaps there was a latent tendency for lesbianism lurking under my rampantly heterosexual past?

There were quite a lot of films on show at the Fenwick, from the rather good Lucy to the crappiness of Mrs Brown’s Boys. We would have gone to see Calvary but we hadn’t seen the previous film in the series so we went for Lucy. It would have been How to Train Your Dragon 2 but it was on in about 1pm, far too early to be in the cinema.

After Lucy we went hunting for a place for an evening meal. We settled on Ocean Blues Restaurant and as a change from red meat we both went for fish / sea food. It was delicious. As a BYO we went there via bottle shop and brought a couple of interesting bottles: Capel Vale Sauvignon Blanc and a Houghton HWB.  One of the couples from the site came in before we got served so we invited them over to our table and they joined us for a snackerooni. They had seafood too. We enjoyed the meal, the wine and the company.

Sheila (yes she really was called Sheila) and Tony were dining companions, as we sort of knew from the previous evenings at the caravan site. They were taking accumulated long service leave from Commonwealth Bank. They had saved up three lots each and combined with their annual leave of this year had almost a full 12 months to tour their home continent. They were probably about 10 years younger than my Mum & Dad and quite young in outlook. They jokingly said they were busy spending their kids’ inheritance. I thought this was a wonderful attitude to have.

Laura picked their brains quite a bit about the role of graduate employment in the banking sector. She is thinking of going into banking or insurance in some way and these two were ideal candidates to have their brains picked. They had plenty of advice but thought it may be different, in a way, in the UK as the pool of talent is much wider. They asked if she’d consider moving out to Australia to work. [I held my breath in anticipation of her answer.]   She was quite diplomatic in her answer saying she hadn’t seen enough of the place to know if she’d like to live here permanently yet. She did say she thought I would like it but would miss my mountains, whereas she hadn’t really anything she would miss in the same way – apart from me. I wasn’t sure if they’d picked up on that reference as the conversation wandered around to things we would miss if we left our home country. For the two of them it was definitely the weather. I had to agree that the British weather wasn’t something that I would miss. It is too unpredictable and not really over warm.

They asked me the same question, if I would come out here to work. I ran the same answer by them that I always use, I would like a job which would keep me six months in each place. Tony, being a lot sharper than he looks, told me off for that answer, telling me it was a cop out. I had to agree that I was being ingenuous. I explained I had worked out here twice for periods of over a year each. The second one was for almost 18 months and would have been for longer if my Dad hadn’t found me a job in Sheffield. I told them I was happily living my life in Warnbro with my sister and family, filling my spare time as their unpaid baby-sitter, with a guy in tow from Fremantle. My job in the department store was mindless and easy enough to cope with. It was Dad’s imput which had changed my life in such a huge way.

They were pretty sharp, these two bankers. Sheila came out with, “So you weren’t gay when you were here, then?” She then bit back the remark and told me to forget she had asked such an impertinent question. Laura jumped in and told her, “She wasn’t when I told her I loved her but she has become my dearest love now.” We then embarked on a longish description of how this straight half-ocker became a confirmed rug muncher. We seem to be doing this quite a lot to complete strangers. Still if it flies the flag for same sex relationships, we are quite willing to do so.

We moved on to less contentious issues and had a pleasant after dinner gossip. Then we drove them back to the campsite in our van. (They had walked down to the restaurant.) Any early night was hit on the head by being invited over to the verandahs for a “final swig before hitting the hay”. The final swig turned out to be two 2 litre Yalumba casks shared between seven of us. Hic!




No comments:

Post a Comment