Tuesday 3 February 2015

I predicted Mum's new man!

Friday 23rd Jan.

Owing to the inclement weather we decided to buy a week’s ‘megarider’ ticket for the Tram and for £4 extra I got parking for the week too! This has proved a great idea as we have been able to avoid the tedium of skidding and crashed vehicles; slushy footpaths and wet boots. Today was a case in point, we used it twice. Once for getting to Uni and back [after our dog walk, swimming and breakfast etc] and once for getting to the City Hall for the first Halle concert of 2015.

The day at Uni was as per usual for me. Laura has been given some contacts for positions after graduation [her second lot, she was given some at the start of the first semester as well] which she is going to contact, as a back-up, for if her part time MA falls through. She spent an age looking at each company on the interweb, using my library cubicle for the task. If the university authorities are seriously monitoring our internet usage I could get a few interrogatory questions about why I was looking at jobs in the financial sector, instead of focusing on things historical this morning. Is big brother watching us? There has been a lot of fuss recently (on campus) about software which flags up what the ‘powers that be’ deem as suspicious web activity. There is a huge number of staff employed by the Uni and the vast majority have been totally against any kind of restrictions being imposed upon them. Quite right too.

Back to the Halle. The programme tonight was just two items: the Schumann Piano Concerto and Elgar’s 2nd Symphony. Both veritable crowd pleasers and both delivered their pleasing effect very well. I have three versions of the Schumann and this version was as good as any of the three. The soloist, Martin Stadfeld, seemed to have a very deft touch but with expression, drama and exuberance when the piece needs it. It didn’t come close to beating my favourite version, which is an ancient recording my Moura Lympany (coupled with the Greig, naturally) where she plays with an empathy that Stadfeld seemed to sacrifice for technical brilliance.

The Elgar belies his bellicose reputation being almost Mahler like in places. He did say he had written his soul into the music, when discussing it after its first performance in 1911 and you can see what he meant. Yes, it has the usual Elgar tricks of repetition and tunefulness but it also sways and sighs and meanders, especially in the slow 2nd movement - which some people have taken as a lament for Edward VII. (Maybe it was, although he began writing it in 1903 after the death of a friend, which sort of belies the Royal Connection.) It is a good piece but probably not the one to introduce Elgar to a novice listener. Luckily I had forearmed Laura with all five P & C Marches, Plus Cockaigne Overture and Enigma Variations, so she was ready for the piece.

We whizzed back home after the concert on the Tram again and settled for a snug evening avoiding the nastiness outside. Callie’s final walk was another romp around the back field rather than anything more demanding, in deference to the weather.

Saturday 24th Jan.

No more white stuff has fallen from the sky but plenty of it is still lying about on the ground and lots of the side roads we passed on our drive to the pool still look like death traps for the unwary or novice motorist. Laura, my novice motorist, is not happy at driving in this foul weather and I don’t blame her. Unless you have had training or experience then it is better to forget all about it. That is probably why there have been so many minor collisions across the city – people are either over confident in their abilities or totally inexperienced. Even the farmers’ bloody milk wagon crashed in Mum’s village on Wednesday morning! Now there you’d have thought that the driver might have had more nonce about driving in terrible conditions, being out at all hours and in all weathers collecting milk from the dwindling number of dairy farms around  but no! He crashed.

100 lengths achieved this morning, so we celebrated with drinking chocolate all round from the vending machine and a longer gossip with Sarah (who was the all-round person) about the snow and stupid driving. I was castigated for doing handbrake turns on the car park. (I did this the other morning.) I suppose, to be honest, I did deserve it. I was just setting a bad example. This led her to ask if I was a tomboy when growing up?

Laura supplied the embarrassing answer that, yes I was. She has seen the undeniable photographic evidence. She launched into finely detailed descriptions of me doing ‘un-girly’ things she had gleaned from viewing both Mum’s, Gran’s and Susannah’s photo albums. For some reason Dad’s pictures of me are always of me living out his fantasy of me being his little princess. Perhaps he has a selective memory or he wasn’t in a position to take pictures of me doing many un-girly things as he’d be the one encouraging me and leading me on, and therefore unable to use his camera. He has a couple of pictures of me on his desk at work [which I think is quite sweet of him], one in a flouncy, purple party dress looking defiantly at the photographer as though I am about to walk across and rip his head from his torso and one on a beach in the Kimberley area, Western Australia, holding a wriggling fish we had rescued from a lagoon and were trying to put back into the sea. (I suppose that could be considered tomboyish, really.)

Back home we had a Skypeathon with Mum, then Suze, then Phil. Dad and Louisa had set off safely and were probably over Europe as we spoke. I phoned Simon to make sure he was collecting Dad and after one of his typically un-hilarious jokes (pretending to have forgotten all about it) he assured me he was primed and ready to go; planning on getting to Glasgow at plane touching down time. I thought this might be cutting it a bit fine, but I kept schtum. Mum told me she had e-mailed some pictures of the snow in Holmesfield on Wednesday, she has sent them to an account I hardly ever use, no wonder I hadn’t found them.

I spent the rest of the morning and first part of the arvo on two major activities: viz – making a huge tureen of vegetable soup. This is designed to be cooked slowly all day today, in the oven, and then left as a simmer pot on the cooker top for an extra hot course during the week. It contains as many different ingredients as we had in the fridge and pantry. (Including a tin of black-eyed beans that neither of us can remember buying!) If we crank up the stove in the lounge it can sit on that all day.

The second part was giving the house a mega clean. We had been away for over a month and there were dust piles and cobwebs (OK, maybe microscopic ones, but I knew they were there!) all over the house. So I spent the time getting it so clean it glowed. There is something really satisfying about having a spotless home. Laura kept having to move out of the way as I worked my way through the rooms. When I had finished I had another shower, which she said was mad, as I had just cleaned the bathroom, but how could I shower before?

Tonight’s concert was at the Crucible but was Ensemble 360, a locally based, ad hoc collection of musicians (we have seen them several times before, at different venues across the city) so we knew there’d be no trouble with them getting to the venue. We used the tram’s ‘megarider’ tickets so we arrived wrapped up like Eskimos from Nanook of the North! Good job there’s a cloakroom service at the theatre.

Instead of our usual glasses of wine we went for a pot of tea as our pre-performance drink, much to the surprise of Mrs B who arrived just as we had started sipping. I had ordered interval wine so that was OK, then.

If last night’s Halle was a crowd pleaser of a performance, tonight’s was even more so:
MOZART Don Giovanni Overture 
ADÈS Catch for piano, violin, clarinet and piano
STRAUSS Till Eulenspiegel ­ einmal anders! Franz Hasenhorl arrangement
RAVEL Tzigane for violin and piano
JS BACH Andante from Viola de Gamba Sonata in D BWV1028 for double bass and piano
LIGETI Musica ricercata/Six Bagatelles for piano and wind quintet
SMETANA The Bartered Bride Overture
See what I mean?
Mrs Briggs loved the Strauss. This pared down arrangement is not one you usually hear and I thought it was a bit of a treat too. I am always amazed by this lot, [Ensemble 360, that is] by how so few musicians can manage to produce such a full sound. They are a wonderful little well-kept Sheffield secret, that’s for sure.

In the collection for what you wanted to pay, we both put in £15 which is what we have paid to see E360 at both the Firth Hall and Montgomery Hall. Mrs Briggs has never been to an event like this before, though I have experienced it in Norwich, Cambridge and London – usually accompanied by mother.

Mum didn’t come to the event tonight, she did have an alternative arrangement scheduled but she wouldn’t tell me what it was when I questioned her again this morning. I bet it is man related. She goes all clam like when I get too nosy about her putative relationships. If it is man related, then good for her, say I. Why should she be single when she doesn’t have to be?

Dad found another woman in whom to hide his sausage almost as soon as the divorce papers’ ink was dry. I remember a steady succession of thoroughly unsuitable girlfriends being paraded out for my inspection as a teenage girl. You can probably tell I wasn’t impressed by any of them. Louisa is different, though. For a start she is a fair bit older than his previous ‘women’ and he did end up marrying her! She never tried to be the ‘all girls together’ bit with me when we met. She also gives Dad a good earful from time to time if he is being pompous, pretentious or just a prat. [In that she is a bit like Mum used to be.] He can be the three ‘P’s quite often if you let him get away with it.

We had yet another tram journey back to Middlewood after the concert and a second evening of romping in the back field for Callie. Actually, I think she just enjoys being in the snow. To watch her charging around and sending up showers of the stuff make you think it’s a puppy in the field not a seven year old dog! This time I put my wellies on and threw snowballs for her to catch or chase – this is quite tricky in the dark, with only a torch for your light source, but the silly girl simply loved it. If a dog can look disappointed, I am sure that Callie did when we came back in. Anthropomorphic of me I know, but she does behave in a human way from time to time.

Sunday 25th Jan.

I am pretty sure we had no snow overnight, or at least our little village didn’t. The weather was cold, clear and crisp this morning, so Callie was rewarded for her patience in only going in the back field for her final walk by a long stroll up the lane to Hill Top Woods and back through Onesacre. The Onesacre road seemed to have been gritted too this morning so after a bacon butty breakfast, courtesy of the blonde bombshell who shares my bed, we decided to drive over the hill to High Bradfield and walk the Agden Reservoir Circuit. We were getting our gear together when Mum phoned and asked us what our plans were for the day. We explained about the walk round Agden and she asked if we wouldn’t mind waiting and she would join us.

I trumped the idea by saying if she made it to ours by about 10.30 we’d arrive back at Bradfield in time for Sunday lunch at the Old Horns.  She was here by 10.15. The roads in the city were pretty clear and there was hardly any traffic at all. We piled into our car so as not to mess up Mum’s posh Audi (A3) and headed gingerly up the hill and down into Bradfield Village. Several people must have had the same idea as there were cars parked everywhere but we found a convenient space on the road to the church.

The route actually takes us through the church yard (there was a service on, you could hear the singing) and then out down the slope of the old Motte & Bailey castle (it is so overgrown, if you didn’t know it was there, you’d never recognise it). Passing out of the woods you walk under the shadow of Rocher Edge [although this is a metaphorical shadow, as the edge is to the north of the footpath]. Along here you walk through a ruined farmhouse and buildings. These have been left to decay for ages, according to Steve in the village. If I had a huge lotto win, I would buy them up and rebuild on the site. It would be a wonderful place for a house; sheltered by Rocher Edge to the North with views all the way across to Stanage Edge in the southern distance. I am sure you could see Stanage Pole on the horizon, but Loll said I was imagining it.

It would take a fortune to rebuild and to make the driveway passable (it’s half a mile of undulating track at the moment). I can but dream, can’t I? At the end of the track we cross two roads in what is one of the best bilberrying spots in South Yorkshire (or is it North Derbyshire here?) The path from Agden Side Road goes roughly flat along the edge of the hillside until it reaches the wood (some of which has been felled). There is a bench halfway along where Loll and I have sat and snogged in the summer. We didn’t today, though, and not just because Mum was with us; it was bloody cold and windy!

The paths falls away following the wood edge down to the brook which feed the reservoir. Here you have a choice, you can follow the brook and end up on the bottom of the lane you crossed earlier or you can walk over the footbridge and join the road that ends up in Low Bradfield. We did the former as this is the nicer route, allowing you to walk right by the water’s side for quite a way. It was quite a struggle to keep Callie out of the reservoir, but she did as she was told and stayed dry. By the dam wall there is a steepish footpath opposite which leads straight back up the hill to Bradfield Churchyard. It was on this path a few years ago Callie disturbed a wasps nest and I got stung to death [almost]. It was July, I was in my shorts, and my legs became an easy target for the wasps. I was crying my eyes out when I arrived at the Old Horns. The barman there gave me some vinegar to put on the swellings. I must have smelled dreadful but the vinegar did the trick. There were no wasps today, thank goodness. Actually, thank Bradfield Council because I rang their pest control department and they came and moved the nest to a place that wasn’t so public. (Or that’s what they told me.)

From the bench on the hillside I had phoned the pub to see if I needed to book for lunch. The girl who answered said I would need to but I did anyway. We arrived to a fairly full pub and it suddenly seemed a good idea to have phoned ahead. An unexpected walking party had turned up so without our booked table we’d have been unable to dine. Phew!

I am psychic. Mum was out with a man last night. He is called Tony and he is a cabinet maker/joiner. He has been doing a small job at Mum’s house and he asked her out for a meal. Pretty terrible weather to go out but he lives in Dore, which is not too far from Holmesfield so they went to a local hostelry in Grindleford for a meal. She thinks they hit it off fairly well.

He is divorced and has two children, one of each, who are both in their late thirties or early forties. He is 65 and reasonably slim and fit looking (that is physically fit, not Phwoar type fit). They had an enjoyable night and he claims to like some of the things Mum likes, although I bet he isn’t all that keen on Feminist Literature!

To see how really he likes Classical Music she has asked him if he’d like to come to the City Hall on Feb 7th, we are seeing the English Chamber Orchestra. He agreed. So that will be my first opportunity to inspect the goods, as it were. Mum has expressly forbidden me to ask him if he likes string quartets. If the answer is yes, I follow up with “What do you think about the Haydn Quartets?” (Note the Capital letters.) Usually, if they are bluffing, they will blather on about the Emperor Quartet or something, completely missing the point. The Haydn Quartets are by Mozart! I told Mum it is a perfectly respectable question but she doesn’t want him being caught in a lie so soon.

After lunch, Mum whizzed off back to Holmesfield rather than stopping at ours for a cuppa and a bun. I joked that she was going to see about some joining she needed doing, and Laura said she couldn’t imagine what it would be like having sex in our sixties. I said it would probably be similar but with more wrinkles.

We decided to remind ourselves what unwrinkled sex was like for quite a while. Will she still love me when my tits have gone saggy and my belly is all wrinkles? (You could ask the same question in reverse. It is a frightening thought and one which I am not going to dwell on again. The very thought gives me the shudders!)


I can say this with absolute certainty; a tight, toned and slender body is absolutely beautiful. Especially when she shares it with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment